Oregon State Police video of Cliff Harris’ June traffic stop released

Posted by Lucas Clark on Tuesday, Aug. 16 at 3:59 pm.

The unedited footage of University of Oregon junior Cliff Harris’ traffic stop for driving 118 mph south of Albany in June was released to a Portland TV station today. Harris acknowledge use of marijuana in the car, while star quarterback Darron Thomas was a passenger.

Harris passed the field sobriety test and the officer mentioned in the video that Harris “is not impaired.” Once Harris received the tickets, one of the three remaining passengers with a valid drivers license, Tyrell Irvin, took the keys and resumed traveling south.

Thomas has now been the passenger in three traffic-related incidents with Oregon teammates. Once in a 2008 speed-racing incident with rover Eddie Pleasant and former wide receiver Jamere Holland, then again last June when Jeremiah Masoli was cited for charges of possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop at a driveway or sidewalk.

• Disappointed

Embarrassing. I wish Oregon football players saw how much they were given by the school and they respected the rules as well as the law. It’s not hard to stay out of trouble. It really shouldn’t be hard when you know there is a national spotlight on you.
    We are looking more and more like a trouble school as the years go on. I just want one summer to go by where our star football players do not get in trouble with the law. That shouldn’t be too much to ask.

• Realist

Oh, shut up. Oregon football players are college kids just like… um… COLLEGE KIDS.  But regular college kids at least get the privilege to screw up in private and not have everything broadcast to the world. If you want to ask football players to stay out of trouble, why don’t you ask frat boys, “J” students? What if every time a frat boy screwed up with the law it got broadcast to the world? THEN how bad would Oregon (or any college for that matter) look? But then again, no one would care either.

• Disappointed

The fact is, Realist, they know they are broadcasted to the world. I have to pay thousands of dollars to come to this school every year, and you don’t see me running around going 118 miles an hour on the freeway. In fact, how many police reports in the area record ANYONE going 118 miles an hour? Not only that, but how many are include (alleged) marijuana possession? (“We smoked it all”)
    Cliff should have been arrested. He was driving without a license in a car that he had no right to be driving at 118 miles an hour with marijuana smoke coming out of the window, as the officer described. He is lucky that he was not.
    I don’t have to ask frat kids or “J students” to stay out of trouble. You want to know why? Because the world doesn’t deal with hypothetical situations. Students of this university are not under a national microscope. Athletes (more specifically football players) are 100 percent fully aware that they are being watched at all times. It’s not a secret. Look at any major sporting site. There will be something about the University’s stellar #3 national ranking. That means media. That means scrutiny.
    Welcome to the world, Realist. Dealing with hypotheticals will only leave you naive. 

• Realist

Just because athletes are fully aware that they are being watched at all times, it still doesn’t make it fair that they are. When it comes down to it, they are still young college kids who do things that ANY college student ANYwhere does. You get a pat on the back for paying all that money and not running around at 118 mph on the freeway. That’s great. There are many other people who pay that same money and do things just as stupid– Just as there are many football players who don’t do anything that would get them into trouble and are model citizens.  Still, you can at least rest assured that should you have a lapse in judgement and/or get caught up in a sticky situation, a video of you won’t ever pop up on the internet for people who offer absolutely nothing to the university except for their tuition to wag their finger and say ” I wish Oregon football players saw how much they were given by the school.” How much does the school get from Cliff Harris and other football players? 
      And the world deals with hypothetical situations all the time. Here’s another one for you… If the football team was stacked with players who you’d approve of as perfect citizens, Oregon would not be a high-profile school that can raise its admission standards because of all the people suddenly wanting to be Ducks. In fact, everything about the school experience there would change… Hypothetically, of course…