DPS officers to wear new police uniforms

Interim UOPD Chief Carolyn McDermed (left) and Brad Petrie pose in their new uniforms in front of a public safety car shortly after the department was rebranded. McDermed has been appointed as executive director and permanent chief for the department starting July 1.  (Alex McDougall/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Interim UOPD Chief Carolyn McDermed (left) and Brad Petrie pose in their new uniforms in front of a public safety car shortly after the department was rebranded. McDermed has been appointed as executive director and permanent chief for the department starting July 1. (Alex McDougall/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Posted by John Goodwin on Monday, Jun. 11 at 12:51 pm.

Acting in-charge director and chief Carolyn McDermed is one of six officers who will be wearing new police uniforms beginning Monday.

Lieutenants Mike Morrow, Brandon Lebrecht, Andy Bechdolt, and sergeants Brad Petrie and Michael Matchulat will join McDermed in the continuation of the campaign to add eight sworn police officers to DPS’ personnel by the beginning of the 2012-13 school year.

Officers with the rank of lieutenant or higher will wear a gold patch, emblazoned with “Police” across the top. Those below the lieutenant rank will wear patches containing blue. Currently the patches of the officers whom are not sworn officers wear patches that say “Public Safety Officer.”

“The officers wearing the uniforms are in leadership positions,” said DPS Communications Director Kelly McIver. “They are not out and about as much as our patrol officers, so there is not a great chance students will see them right away.”

Of the officers, McDermed will be the most likely spotted officer around campus, as she chooses to walk wherever she goes, as she was enthusiastic about the new uniforms and what wearing them means to the campus community.

“What this truly means is that we will now be represented appropriately,” McDermed said. “The officers wearing these uniforms have all the training necessary to wear an official police uniform.”

Because some are now sworn police officers, the jurisdiction for these individuals changes.

“In the state of Oregon, police officers can enforce the laws anywhere,” McIver said, adding that if officers saw a crime or violation occurring off campus, they would have the right to take lawful action as they deemed necessary.

Wearing the uniforms is another step towards what DPS hopes to be a full-fledged police force on campus.

“This is a part of our effort to be more responsive to campus needs,” McIver said. “Because of our proximity to campus, our response can be very fast – faster than (Eugene Police Department’s) now.”

Currently, DPS must rely on EPD to carry out some functions relevant to police officers, such as detaining and transporting suspect.

“We are a professionalized department,” McDermed said. “Our services available to the campus community are better, and I think people know this. We want to provide more, to help more – all so students can focus more on studies. That is the goal.”

The new uniforms are the first visible signs of DPS' transition to a police force. (Alex McDougall/Oregon Daily Emerald)

• asdfjasdja

That is the coolest badge I have ever seen…

• DPS Sucks

You can put a tuxedo on a piece of shit, but it’s still a piece of shit…

• Dylan S

My hope is that it DOES change perceptions of the current DPS department on campus. I have been personal witness of conduct from DPS officers that would not be tolerable if they were a police officer. Our students should be able to hold DPS Officers (Read: UO Police Officers) at a higher standard because they wear a badge that holds power. Power to enforce, but also power to be held accountable for unethical and over-bearing actions.

Last note: “We want to provide more, to help more – all so students can focus more on studies.” — Keep in mind that there is much more to being a college student than just studies. For many of us…if college were just studies, we would not survive. Intramurals, athletic events, social events, get-togethers, on-campus events, making mistakes and learning from them…it’s all a part of the experience.

With a big shiny badge comes responsibility–to the students and to yourself.

• Concerned student

I wonder how much THAT cost students…

• lols

How much shirts and patches cost the students?

About 1/10 of one plane ride for the athletics staff to party in CA at the rose bowl I would imagine
    :P

• Joe

Their trip was funded almost entirely by athletic funds and private donars. What an ignorant comment. The athletic programs here at UO bring in absurd ampunts of money!

• JB

Those officers keep the thefts of the expensive things the university, and it’s community members buy, down to a minimum. They also deal with the crimes the athletics department has brought to the campus….everywhere from felony theft and burglary to sexual assault….

• Guest

Some fat lady and an old balding guy are our protectors? Look up how much it costs to buy a police badge. It is not cheap. Nice to know where my tuition increase is going. 

• JB

That old balding guy could kick some methed out thief’s ass without blinking…..but you are just running your mouth without knowing what you are talking about. Typical.

• Guest

STFU. Dumbass.

• Guest

• Anonymous

Can’t say that I would have gotten along well with these guys but the badge and patch are sick as hell

• Jbyer

Like the badge, hate the idea of a police campus.  The cost, the whole idea it will make us safer, cmon lets get real.  This is just an opening in the flood gates.  Mark these words carefully so I can tell all of you I told you so.  “The so called U of O police WILL have and carry guns as soon as they can fool all of you or pay some one off to have them.  They have wanted to for a long time and have been held at bay, but now hmm, let become u of o police to better serve , yea right.  Just come out and say, HEY I want to carry a freakin gun.  One last thing before ending this rant and I mean this from my heart,   JB your a FRACKIN idiot.  I bet you never played any sports and your daddy was a cop and you wanted to be but couldn’t because  you didn’t pass the psych evaluation or your head was too fat to fit into those pretty lil police hats.  What a fool, I have some land for sale, I bet you would buy it, yep hook line and sinker.

• Lingo4

I am transfering to the U of O from the University of Washington what is wrong with having campss police? Is the U of O not a safe place? Can you tell me what is wrong with the police there? Any tips will be helpful.

• Guest

I hear there is an opening for a new chief at public safety. Word is that Doug Trip got canned. Wowzie. Didn’t Doug Trip just complete the police academy? Later dude.

• Guest