Why Washington will beat Oregon

Posted by Matt Walks on Thursday, Oct. 4 at 5:11 am.

**Editor’s Note: Each week during football season we will feature an essay from the opponent’s student newspaper on how Oregon will lose. This week’s edition is from Kevin Dowd, the sports editor at Washington’s The UW Daily.**

It’s been 3,262 days since November 1, 2003, a very long stretch of time that nonetheless has seemed much longer for Husky fans. You see, that was the day the Washington football team last beat Oregon.

It was a weird game. Oregon jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter. Then the Huskies scored 42 straight.

It certainly was not a sign of things to come.

Since then, the Ducks have made the Huskies whimper, outscoring their neighbors to the north 339-137. And it’s often felt even more lopsided than that, at least on this side of things. In the past eight years, the UW has beaten every school in the Pac-12 except Oregon, and there have been very few signs that this year will be different.

When it’s been 3,262 days, though, you tend to magnify the heck out of those very few signs.

For one, it looks like this could be the best and deepest UW defense in a decade. After a few years of top-25 recruiting classes, the Huskies might finally have the horses to contain the Ducks when Chip Kelly goes to light-speed in the second half.

For another, the Husky offense can’t get much worse than it’s been the first four games of the season. Ben Riva might be back at right tackle this week, which should lessen the number of plays on which Keith Price is running for his life.

Kasen Williams and Austin Seferian-Jenkins are really good, good enough to give the Duck defense some serious problems. Defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox actually knows what he’s doing, a rather large improvement over the past three seasons.

Still, the Ducks will probably have 20 of the 30 best players on the field. Their offense is a machine, and their defense is underrated. They might be the best team in the country.

I know this headline reads “Why Washington will beat Oregon,” but that begs a question I’m not totally comfortable assuming. All I can say is that if Washington does finally beat Oregon, it will have been a long time coming.

• lamichael lyles jr

whoregon is FAR from the beat team in the country. look at their non conference schedule. being ranked 2 means very little. they wouldn’t stand a chance against Alabama. They would get throttled by s Carolina and Georgia too. let’s see how good they r after they play a few real games. not 3 FCS teams AT HOME. Arizona and wazzu? wow. and their idiot website at ATQ says Huskies are overrated cuz Stanford sucks. yet they beat Arizona and wazzu? get real.

• my_sides_hurt

like no other team in the top ten (let alone Alabama or the nation) plays a few lessor known teams in the non-conference. We played LSU as a non-conference opponent last year….just like UW did this year. We had Georgia scheduled for this pre-season, they cancelled because they “didn’t want to fly way out there and be jet-lagged”. Why don’t you come back and post after this game or after the conclusion of the season. You’re hurtin my pancreas.

• 56-21

This Pups editor sounds like he’s ready for a beatdown. The Husky fanbase is not optimisitic about Saturday that is a fact. Maybe it’s because they have no O-line or a threat besides Williams.
    @LMJ Lyles Jr……We would be throttled by The Cocks? The team that barely beat UK? No. You mean the UGA that just lost their best WR and gave up 44 to UT? Naw. We played crappy teams because nobody will come to Autzen-ask K State. FYI-Zona was ranked, and they didn’t score a point so I’m not sure that helps your argument. They narrowly lost to #14 osu as well. Do you actually watch the games?
    I’m not saying the Ducks would beat Bama right now…because we won’t know till’ January.

• Anonymous

No one gave the Dawgs a chance to beat Stanford last week or any other of their upsets in the last 10 years. So why not.. some good defense, add some key offensive plays, and turnover or two and Washington has a shot at an upset. I’d love those smug Duck fans to be stunned.

• Southern boy

Oregon is one of the few teams in the country that could actually compete in the SEC. Take away the tv time outs that gives LSU, Alabama, and South Carolina time to rest and the question would be can they compete with Oregon.

• ‘Whoregon’ fan

So, Husky fans, what was that about Washington beating Oregon?

• Medicine Man

Any Husky Fans Wanna Open Their Mouths Now……..Any???

• Medicine Man

There Is A Reason Why Nick Saban Is Terrified To Face Oregon In The National Championship. The Washington Huskys Found Out What That Reason Is Yeasterday!!!!!