Stanford beats UCLA to win Pac-12 North, freezes Ducks out of Pac-12 title game

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Saturday, Nov. 24 at 6:27 pm.

The Ducks will finish the regular season with the best record in the Pac-12, but they won’t get a chance to play for the conference title.

Even after the loss to Stanford the door remained open for the Ducks to back into the conference title game, but the Cardinal closed that door with a 35-17 win over UCLA in Pasadena. Stanford will play UCLA again in the Pac-12 title game on Friday. It will be first time Chip Kelly won’t win a conference title as Oregon’s head coach.

Even without a league title to their name though, the Ducks may still receive an at-large bid to play in their fourth-straight BCS game after finishing the regular season 11-1. Oregon is projected to end up in the Fiesta Bowl and will likely earn a date with Kansas State, the same team that the Ducks were on a crash course to meet in the national championship before both teams were upset last week.

• hughmass

So Oregon fans get to shed the tension of the fight for the #1 ranking, and to be able to look forward to a great game against a really good team in a BCS game. Seems like a win to me…but then I am one of those who understand the players for Oregon are young college students, who are trying to combine a college education with participation in a professional college league. The players earn millions for the coach and his staff, not to mention ESPN, but are not allowed to form a union and get paid.
    Go Ducks (and Puddles…help them form a union).
    Hugh