Club hockey hosts Washington as I-5 Cup series heads to Eugene

Oregon Ducks player Jeffery Kraus attempts to slow down Washington Huskies player Tristan Wickliff as they race for the puck. (Tess Freeman/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Friday, Nov. 30 at 11:22 am.

The Ducks club hockey team takes the ice at the Lane County Ice Center tonight looking to go up 2-1 in the four game season series against Washington.  The Ducks are 11-1-1 on the year with their only regulation loss coming against the Huskies in Seattle but are undefeated in conference play because only half of the Ducks and Huskies’ games count toward the Pac-8 standings.

Washington has won the last three I-5 Cups, but the Ducks’ Oct. 27 win in Seattle puts Oregon in position to take the rivalry trophy back to Eugene. Should the Ducks and Huskies split their two games in Eugene as well, the I-5 Cup will be decided by a shootout after the fourth game.

The Ducks are led in scoring by Connor McBride, who has tallied 12 goals through the Ducks first eight games.  His line mate, Patrick Thornton, leads the team in assists with eight.

The Huskies are led in goals and assists by Ryan Minkoff, who has 10 goals and 13 helpers through the Huskies’ first 10 games.

Puck drop at the Lane County Ice Center is set for 7 p.m. Free shuttles for students wishing to attend the game leave the Student Recreation Center beginning at 6 p.m.