College.biz: Higher education becomes a priority with creation of state committee

Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber's plan to create a Department of Post-Secondary Education likely spurred the legislature's new committee. (Oregon Department of Transportation Photo)

Posted by Emily Schiola and Dashiell Paulson on Friday, Dec. 28 at 1:06 pm.

This is a first in state history. The Oregon Legislature has created a standing committee on higher education. To compare, California has had a standing committee on higher education since 1991 and Washington since at least the mid-90s. It’s part of an emerging focus on renovating and trying to improve the state university system.

The committee’s creation represents a dramatic change of heart for the state, which has slashed funds for the Oregon University System over the last six years. The move is likely prompted by Governor John Kitzhaber’s plans for a Department of Post-Secondary Education (another first) and his goal that 40 percent of Oregonians hold four year degrees by 2025.

In the next legislative session, the committee will consider allowing Oregon to have its own institutional board of trustees, which could give the University of Oregon more independence in its operations and administration. The composition of such a board, its powers and its place within the university system are all issues the committee would have to decide on.

The committee will also oversee legislation affecting financial aid, text book prices, bonding (critical for universities building more infrastructure) and state funded scholarships.

Post-secondary education lurked in the shadows of the legislature for years, discussed only in the education committee where the subject was often put behind K-12 initiatives. In 2007, a sub-committee was formed, but it met infrequently. Governor Kitzhaber’s re-election in 2010 has meant Oregon universities are getting more attention. The governor’s budget for 2013 actually proposes a 7.2 percent increase in funding for universities in Oregon, according to David Sarasohn, a columnist for The Oregonian. For now the new committee represent a recommitment and greater involvement by the state in higher education.

The legislature will have organizational meetings on January 14 and get down to business on February 4.

• Tim Young

Two pieces of legislation will be before the legislature, this new body and governor this session that I hope your editorial board will look into. Specifically, please look into The Oregon Opportunity Initiative as proposed by state treasurer Ted Wheeler. http://buyoregonbonds.com/treasury/AboutTreasury/Pages/Opportunity-Initiative.aspx

It doesn’t end there, oh no, lucky you.

For further Oregon public higher education wonky stuff and other ways to fall asleep, I have a link. You see I joined the ranks of just a few people on the internet, really a small group, that have one of these things called a blog? Yeah, I hadn’t heard of ‘em either. **logs off on a dial up** http://timdyoung1984.blogspot.com/