Links: Optimus Klein, Super Mariota and a big salmon bet

Freshman quarterback Marcus Mariota earned the nickname Super Mariota after an explosive first season for the Ducks. (Nate Barrett/Emerald)

Posted by McKenna Brown on Wednesday, Jan. 2 at 11:30 am.

ESPN’s Ted Miller argues that the Fiesta Bowl quarterbacks are both the same and different. Hmm.

At least one writer thinks that a Fiesta Bowl win would mean more for Kansas State than it would for Oregon, as it would secure the Wildcats their first-ever 12-win season.

Duck fans in Glendale for the game have stumbled upon an Oregon-themed bar called The Well Bar and are apparently partying it up in anticipation of the game.

In the battle of the nicknames, who has the upper hand: Optimus Klein or Super Mariota?

Looks like the presidents of Kansas State and Oregon will have yet another reason to cheer on their respective teams on Jan. 3: Kirk Schulz and Michael Gottfredson have each bet some of their region’s finest foodstuffs on the outcome of the game. Schulz has wagered Kansas beef and flour and Gottfredson some salmon, hazelnuts and honey. Note that the Topeka Capital-Journal seems to think that the Wildcats are facing off against the Ducks from Oregon University.