Fiesta Bowl: No. 4 Oregon 35, No. 5 Kansas State 17

Michael Clay and Ricky Hemuli celebrate a defensive stop during the Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium January 3, 2012. (Alex McDougall/Emerald)

Posted by Matt Walks on Thursday, Jan. 3 at 8:54 pm.

GLENDALE, Ariz. — In the end, Kansas State’s best wasn’t enough. Oregon will come out of Glendale with a 12-1 mark on the year after staving off the Wildcats 35-17 Thursday night in Glendale.

The fourth quarter brought pride to K-State fans, as senior quarterback Collin Klein drove the team 72 yards on 11 plays, but the five minutes it took off the clock would’ve been nice down the road. John Hubert’s 10-yard touchdown reception cut the deficit to 15 and that was as close as the Wildcats would get.

In what could very well be head coach Chip Kelly’s last game with the Ducks, Oregon jumped out to a quick lead off a De’Anthony Thomas kickoff return. They followed that up with a two-point conversion to take an 8-0 lead just 12 seconds into the game. Thomas added another rushing touchdown later in the quarter to give the Ducks a 15-0 lead heading into the second.

Senior quarterback Collin Klein and the Wildcats responded with a touchdown and, just a few minutes later, a field goal. Oregon struggled to get anything going, and it looked like fans would be in for the close game they had been hoping for.

That, however, did not turn out to be the case. Oregon scored three more times to take a 32-10 lead at the end of the third.

Oregon freshman quarterback Marcus Mariota was named the game Offensive MVP and senior linebacker Michael Clay was named the Defensive MVP.

We’ll have more coverage after the pressers.

Final game by the numbers

70,242 — Announced attendance at the stadium

2 — BCS bowl wins for the Ducks in two years

1 — Super random one-point safety play