Chip Kelly appears to be Browns’ top choice, though nothing finalized yet

Oregon head football coach Chip Kelly answers a question during Media Day for the 2012 Rose Bowl. Kelly's success in turning Oregon into a college football powerhouse has garnered the attention of NFL teams and that attention is on track to continue. (Alex McDougall/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Posted by Eddie Paskal on Saturday, Jan. 5 at 3:47 pm.

A day after ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Oregon’s Chip Kelly was close to becoming the new head coach for the Cleveland Browns, a deal has yet to be reached between Kelly and the 5-12 Browns.

Mortensen reported that Kelly and Browns’ front office officials met for over seven hours on Friday and described the talks as “very positive.”

However, following this meeting, Kelly’s tour of NFL teams in need of a coach continued with an interview with the Buffalo Bills Friday night and the Philadelphia Eagles today.

Many consider Cleveland to be the most likely landing spot for the New Hampshire native who has led Oregon to back-to-back BCS bowl victories as he is scheduled to meet with the Browns again tonight.

Throughout the process, Kelly has maintained he wants to get meeting and negotiations out of the way in a timely manner so he knows where he will be spending next season, whether that be in Eugene or elsewhere.

Kelly was close to signing a contract to become the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last winter before deciding at the last minute to return to Eugene.