Keanon Lowe fakes injury to get Dane Ebanez BCS playing time

Keanon Lowe played well in his first start at wide receiver, catching the ball four times for 34 yards during Oregon's 57-35 victory over Arkansas State at Autzen Stadium Sept. 1, 2012. (Alex McDougall/The Emerald)

Posted by Matt Walks on Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 3:39 pm.

In the run-up to the Fiesta Bowl, one of the best stories surrounding Oregon football came from one of its most obscure players.

Profiled by The Oregonian’s John Canzano, Dane Ebanez is leaving the team with one year of NCAA eligibility because he can’t afford to not start paying his $70,000 of student debt. The junior from Alaska’s North Pole has excelled on the Ducks’ scout teams throughout his collegiate career, but he’s seen just a handful of snaps in meaningful games.

Now, it’s being reported, again by Canzano, that wide receiver Keanon Lowe faked an injury near the end of Oregon’s Fiesta Bowl win to get Ebanez, his back-up, his first playing time in a bowl game. As Ebanez explained, Lowe did it as the team broke its special teams huddle.

Oregon was up 35-17 at the time.

Notre Dame may have been blown out by Alabama, but at least one team’s Rudy got a win this bowl season.

• Famous Duck

Do you suppose that we’ll face sanctions for faking an injury?
    Seems like they want to get us for everything else.

• worldwidewebfoot

God Bless Keanan Lowe. What a nice thing to do.

• hunter

Much respect for keanon lowe for that .