Indoor track and field earns 12 event wins at season opener

Posted by Beth Maiman on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 9:07 pm.

Oregon indoor track and field picked up 12 wins in total this weekend at the Blue and Orange Opener in Nampa, Idaho.

“It was a great opener for us coming off winter break,” head coach Robert Johnson told goducks.com. “We had a number of personal bests, which is usually a good thing this early in the season.”

Jenna Prandini and Sam Crouser were memorable in their indoor debuts. Prandini, a redshirt freshman and California native, won the 60 meters in 7.48 seconds. Her time was the fourth fastest time in school history. Later in the meet, she took second in the 200 meters with a time of 24.07.

Crouser, a sophomore from Gresham, Oregon, was impressive in his debut, winning second place in shot put with his throw at 57-9.75/17.62m. Crouser’s also earned his spot in the school’s record book. His performance in Idaho was the second best in Oregon history, trailing only Colin Veldman’s throw at 58-8.75/17.90m.

Other wins for the Ducks included Lauren Crockett winning first in the women’s high jump, Phyllis Francis in the 200 meters, Laura Roesler in the 400 meters, and Alyssa Monteverde took the 60 meter hurdles.

For the Duck men, Boru Guyota led a 1-2-3 finish in the 800 meters. Following Guyota, were transfers Patrick Todd and Brett Johnson.

In the 60 meters, Arthur Delaney won with a time of 6.84, while Mike Berry finished in third in 6.98

Matt Hidalgo won the pole vault in his Oregon debut, achieving his personal best by clearing 16-2.75/4.95m. Sophomore Trevor Ferguson won the long jump with a leap of 23-4/7.11m, while junior Tyler Pinkney took the triple jump at 48-0/14.63m.

For the Ducks next meet the team heads to Seattle for the UW Invitational starting on January 25th.