Oregon women remain winless in Pac-12 play after falling to Arizona 100-68

Posted by Hayden Kim on Sunday, Jan. 13 at 3:05 pm.

The conference play woes continued for the Ducks this afternoon as they fell to Arizona 100-68. Still searching for their first win in Pac-12 play, the Ducks came up empty handed in their road trip the desert as they lost two straight games, which now puts them in last place with an 0-4 record. Whether or not optimisim still resignates within this struggling Oregon team, things aren’t looking too good as the Ducks continue to look for any way to make this season a positive.

Today’s struggles lied on the defensive side of the ball as the Ducks gave up 55 points in the first half. After leading the Wildcats in the early goings of the game 7-5, the Ducks seemed to be keeping up with an Arizona team that hasn’t exactly shown any signs of being a contender in the Pac-12 and there was definitely room for the Ducks to come away with their first win in conference play. But after the Wildcats went on a 12-2 run with just under 18 minuets to go in the first half, the Ducks never managed to retake the lead and before they knew it, they were down 55-34 at the break.

In the second half both teams came out struggling from the field, but the Wildcats maintained their steady lead as the Ducks failed to make a momentum shifting run. With a team total of 12 turnovers alone in the second half, the Ducks certainly did not help themselves as they found themselves in a deeper hole by the minuet. At the 6:43 mark, the Wildcats held their highest lead of the game up until that point at 86-57 and though the game was well over before then, it was summed up a game that just wasn’t in the Duck’s hands at any point. Having shot 44.4 percent from three and with six different Arizona players finishing in double figures in scoring, the Ducks simply could not handle the high powered Arizona offense. The Ducks eventually went on to lose to Arizona 100-66 in their worst Pac-12 loss of the year.

Takeaways: Jillian Alleyne continues to shine in her first year as a Duck as she recorded her sixth double-double of the year with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Liz Brenner also had another great performance as she recorded 10 points and nine rebounds as she narrowly missed having consecutive games with double-doubles. These two players will be the key for the Duck’s success as they move forward in conference play and it should show as a bright spot in an otherwise difficult situation.

On the horizon: The Ducks will continue their search for their first win in Pac-12 play as they face off against the rival Oregon State Beavers on Tuesday at Matthew Knight Arena. Tip off is set for 8 p.m.