Oregon women’s basketball falls to hungry Oregon State

Posted by Aubrey Wieber on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at 10:57 pm.

Oregon went into their game against Oregon State determined to get a win to help propel their season toward more frequent victories. Alas, it was not to be as the Beavers dominated for the majority of the game and ended up withstanding a late push by the Ducks to win 63-53. With the loss Oregon’s record drops to 2-15. Oregon State is now 8-9.

The final ten-point margin is misleading, as Oregon State enjoyed a lead that reached 24 points with 16:45 left in the second period, and although the Ducks made it interesting toward the end, the Beavers never lost control in the game.

“On the bright side the team played much better in the second half,” coach Paul Westhead said after the game. “We got after it a little bit. We’re going to work before the next game to try and figure out why it took us 20 minutes to wake up but that’s for another day. Good effort in the second half showed that we are capable of playing better.”

Statistically, the Ducks more or less matched the Beavers in most categories with blocks and rebounds being the one exception as Oregon State had an impressive ten blocks while Oregon had only three. Oregon actually rebounded well, beating the Beavers on the boards 47-41 including 20 offensive rebounds.

The one glaring difference in Tuesday night’s game was field-goal percentage. The Ducks shot 25.8 percent for the game while Oregon State shot 37.5. The Ducks were 6-for-24 from behind the arc and often settled for three-point attempts rather than putting the defense on their heels and driving to the rim.

“We have to get back to scoring the basketball,” Westhead said of the fatal shooting percentage. “The percentage is alarming. 25 for the game, 25 from three point, 59 from the foul line. We talked about offensive rebounds and turnovers to put us in position to win, but it’s still a game where you have to make baskets.”

Many players suffered through tough shooting nights, including Jillian Alleyne (2-for-14), Jordan Loera (1-for-9), and Ariel Thomas (2-for-11). Alleyne, despite struggling from the field, finished with 13 rebounds and seven points.

Liz Brenner had her best colligate basketball game, scoring a career high 17 points on 5-11 shooting to go with eight rebounds, second only to Alleyne’s 13.

“I definitely think as every game goes I get more and more comfortable, more and more in basketball mode,” said Brenner of her adjustment from volleyball to basketball. “I think every single day I play it gets better.”

For the Beavers, guard Jamie Weisner did the bulk of the damage offensively, shooting 7-for-16 and finishing with 22 points and six rebounds. Patricia Bright chipped in ten points on 4-for-8 shooting. Defensively Patricia Bright terrorized the Ducks in the paint, finishing with six blocks and over all tenacious defense that coerced the Ducks into taking ill-advised shots.

Turning point. With 6:25 left in the game, Danielle Love hit a three to put the Ducks within eight points (50-42) after being down 24 earlier in the half. On the next possession Alyssa Martin scored quickly on a short jumper, then Alleyne turned the ball over by traveling, then Oregon fouled and sent Oregon State to the line where Deven Hunter made both shots.

After that point Oregon flirted with mounting a second come back but were never able to overcome the massive deficit developed in the first half.

On the horizon. The Ducks won’t have to wait long for a chance at revenge as their next game will also be against Oregon State. The team says they are looking forward to the chance at a rematch.

“We are very excited for Sunday,” forward Danielle Love said.

The game will tip off at 2 p.m. on Sunday in Corvallis.