Film: This year in comedy films

Posted by Sam Bouchat on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 4:32 pm.

This year will not be short of comedies — in fact, like every year, the film industry will be flooded with way too many comedies with predictable plots, flat jokes and bad actors. Here are just a few that I’ll watch in hopes of gaining a few intellectual (and sometimes mindless) laughs.

“The Hangover Part III” (May 24) — The first one was insane. The second one was ridiculous. Here’s hoping the third one, where the gang (Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha) goes on a road trip, is just as hilariously unfortunate.

“Don Jon’s Addiction” (Sept. 19) — Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“Looper,” “The Dark Knight Rises”) tries his hand at writing, directing and starring in this comedy, playing a porn-addicted man on his road to enlightenment and a more satisfying sex-life. Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore star as well.

“The World’s End” (Oct. 25) — Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright reunite to create another film that will hopefully compete with their genius creations like “Hot Fuzz” and “Shaun of the Dead.” “The World’s End” follows five old friend who come together to enjoy an epic pub crawl, only to stumble into a fight for the survival of the Earth. Pegg, Martin Freeman (“The Hobbit”), Nick Frost (“Hot Fuzz”), Paddy Considine (“The Bourne Ultimatum”) and Eddie Marsan (“Sherlock Holmes”) star.

“Anchorman: The Legend Continues” (Dec. 20) — It’s been nine years, but finally the unorthodox news crew it returning to the big screen for this highly anticipated sequel. Will Farrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner and Christina Applegate will reprise their roles on San Diego’s top news team.