Women’s tennis completes day one at the Freeman Memorial in Las Vegas

Posted by Beth Maiman on Friday, Jan. 18 at 7:46 pm.

The women’s tennis team kicked off their season today at the Freeman Memorial in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Due to a strong showing from senior Patricia Skowronski, she upset Florida’s Danielle Collins, who came into the invitational ranked sixth in the tournament and 22nd in the nation. Skowronski’s win over Collins (3-6, 7-5, 6-3), gave her a spot in the Round of 16 where she faced Tessa Lyons from the University of North Carolina. Lyons was victorious over the Duck senior in a tight 6-4, 6-4 match.

Senior Julia Metzger lost in her opening match to UNLV’s Lucia Batta (6-1, 6-1).  In the consolation bracket, Metzger also fell in her second match to North Carolina’s Ashley Dai, 6-3, 6-4.

Transfer from University of Oklahoma, Nicole Long, was successful in her quarterfinals match against UNLV’s Ella Bourchier. Long took the match in 6-3, 6-3 to earn her spot in the semifinals. Long faces another UNLV contestant, Anett Ferenczi-Bako, for the semifinals match tomorrow morning.

North Carolina’s Lauren McHale and Lyons defeated Oregon’s doubles team of Skowronski and Long, 8-6. In the only match of the other doubles bracket, Metzger and sophomore Sofia Hager beat UNLV’s Bourchier and Alexis Garrett, 8-5.

The Freeman Memorial continues tomorrow morning, with Long fighting for a spot to represent Oregon in the Championship on Sunday.