Zone Read AM: Ducks basketball defeats USC, Kelly begins forming coaching staff in Philadelphia

Posted by Eddie Paskal on Friday, Jan. 18 at 11:02 am.

Dana Altman and his number 21 ranked Ducks remain undefeated in Pac-12 play after defeating the USC Trojans 76-74 in a nail biter in Los Angeles last night.

The Trojans had recently fired head coach Kevin O’Neill, and Bob Cantu had been chosen to lead USC on an interim basis in hopes he could turn around their disappointing start.

However, the balanced attack for the Ducks was too much for USC and J.T. Terrell, who led all scorers with 22 points, and the Trojans fell at home.

The Emerald’s Aubrey Wieber provides a full game recap here.

The dust is finally starting to settle and the fact that Chip Kelly and his trademark visor will not be patrolling the sidelines of Autzen Stadium next year is starting to sink in for Duck fans.

After initially turning down a deal to become head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles and deciding to return to Eugene, Kelly concluded the opportunity was too good to turn down and made the leap to the NFL.

However, Kelly’s decision is now having a domino effect on the assistant coaching ranks of the Ducks. To no one’s surprise, Kelly will be taking some of his assistants with him to Philadelphia, namely his old assistant coach Jerry Azzinaro, who will now serve as the Eagles’ defensive line coach.

Three other assistants are believed to be headed to Philadelphia with Kelly, among them James Harris, but their roles have not been officially announced as of yet.

****

The Manti Te’o story that broke a few days ago has quickly become one of the most interesting, complex and utterly confusing stories of the year.

Deadpsin.com initially reported that Lennay Kekua, the “girlfriend,” of Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o was actually nonexistent. Since then, Te’o has been the subject of much public ridicule and debate as people try to decide whether or not he knew about the elaborate hoax.

ESPN’s Shelley Smith is now reporting that the man behind complex façade is Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and he is maintaining that Te’o knew nothing about it and is indeed a victim of circumstance.

For the most recent ESPN update about this ever changing story click here.