Zone Read AM: Josh Huff’s trial continues, Ducks basketball enjoys historic start

121110.ajm.fbc.california_0213_1

Posted by Matt Walks on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 8:25 am.

The trial of Josh Huff will continue Thursday, as a Eugene jury decides whether the Oregon wide receiver native was in fact under the influence of intoxicants when he was pulled over and arrested March 3, 2012.

Officers initially believed Huff had been drinking, but after the Houston native reportedly blew a 0.0 on a breathalyzer test, they administered further tests and concluded he had been smoking marijuana.

The Register-Guard’s Jack Moran was all over Day One of the trial, tweeting updates throughout.

The Emerald will cover Day Two and the trial’s ramifications live and online, both here and on Twitter.

Huff was the team’s leading receiver last season with 493 yards.

What’s that? Just more Ducks breaking records … Oregon men’s basketball vanquished Washington State Wednesday night in dramatic comeback fashion, rallying from 10 points down at halftime to win 68-61.

The win moves Oregon to 6-0 in conference play for the first time in history under the Duck mascot. In fact, the last time this program got off to such a hot start, the team was called the Oregon “Webfoots” and played in the Pacific Coast Conference. The year was 1926. Only twenty years earlier basketball was played with peach baskets.

Oregon will host Washington on Saturday. The Huskies lost Thursday night to Oregon State, 74-66. It was the Beavers’ first conference win of the season.

Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.

It starts on the mound. Oregon pitcher Jake Reed made it a point that Oregon baseball will likely start the season healthier than in year’s past. With the return of three pitchers — lefty Jones and right-handers Sam Johnson and Cole Wiper — form Tommy John surgery, Oregon’s bullpen will have a better chance to develop a solid rotation in the early games of the season.

“Last year … we had one guy with experience starting in the Pac-12 with (senior Alex) Keudell,” Reed said. “Other than that, it was really a tossup just because of injuries and stuff. and this year, we have everything we need to be a strong staff.

Reed also said the returning pitchers — especially the younger guys — will benefit from last year’s deep postseason run.

“As a freshman (last season), it was huge for me to get that experience and know that you’re able even as a freshman to get outs in the Pac-12,” the 6-foot-2 right-hander said. “It’s kind of a scary thought. If you haven’t pitched before, you think it’s this big jump from high school to college, and it’s kind of a realization deal where you realize it’s a pitcher’s game still, no matter where you play. If you’re a good pitcher, you’re going to get outs. That’s the biggest thing.”