ASUO committee will meet to discuss funding of Oregon Athletic Band

Members of the Oregon Marching Band's flag team performed for Duck fans at a pep rally at Santa Monica Pier in anticipation of the 2012 Rose Bowl. (Alex McDougall/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Posted by Ian Campbell on Monday, Jan. 28 at 8:58 pm.

On Nov. 28, 2012, the ASUO’s Department Finance Committee proposed a benchmark that did not include funding for the Oregon Athletic Band. The main reason for the cut was not to rid the UO of a band, but to force either the administration or the athletic department to pick up the funding.

After members from the DFC presented their benchmark, ASUO senators commended the committee for the idea.

“Major kudos on the marching band thing, there is no way we should be paying for the marching band. I also don’t think that ACFC should pick up a penny because when angry parents get upset they aren’t going to call the student government, they’re going to call athletics and say, ‘Why did you cut the marching band?’” Sen. Ben Bowman said at the time.

Recently, controversy has surfaced on whether the ASUO should defund the band or not. In a recent letter to the editor, ASUO President Nick McCain stated his reasons for why moving funding from ASUO to athletics would be a good move.

“We have an opportunity to remind Athletics of the vital service the OAB provides to our university. I believe that it is Athletics’ role and obligation to pick up the funding for this essential aspect of the athletic experience,” McCain wrote.

The athletic department responded Monday evening with an edition of “Just the Facts” on goducks.com.

Currently, nothing is official. All decision will be made during the Oregon Marching Band’s budget hearing on Thursday, Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. in Columbia 150.

• Tyler

Yeah, that’ logical. The largest student group on campus definitely shouldn’t be funded by the ASUO. Makes perfect sense.