Zone Read AM: Darrell Hunter’s return to baseball, Ducks add Virginia to 2013 football schedule

Posted by Hayden Kim on Monday, Jan. 28 at 11:08 am.

It has been nearly four years since the Oregon baseball team resurrected its program during the 2009 season. Since then, the Ducks have had success in both regular season play and the postseason as they continue to improve on a yearly basis. But before the Ducks received national praise, there were players like Darrell Hunter who were among the few early recruits of what was then the newly created Oregon Ducks baseball team. 

Hunter was the first recruit the Ducks had in 2009 and since then he has had to overcome injuries and trials as he dramatically returned the game of baseball. Now as a full time pitcher, Hunter will resume play this season after suffering through severe head injuries while also taking a year off baseball last season.

Bob Clark of the Register-Guard has the full story on how Hunter made his unlikely return to baseball.

After being arrested and charged with a DUII back in March 3, 2012, Josh Huff finally heard the words “not guilty” during his trial this last Thursday evening. Despite getting away with no real punishment, Huff is now — fair or not — among the short list of Oregon football players who have had run-ins with the law.

Our very own Eddie Paskal breaks down the list of former Duck football players who have recently had problems with the law and reasons why student athletes should be held to a higher standard.

Both Kenjon Barner and Kyle Long made their appearances at the Senior Bowl this past Saturday as the South beat the North 21-16. Barner finished with a mere 13 rushing yards on three attempts but did manage to rack up a game-high seven receptions totaling for 59 yards. Long also made his mark ,as he solidified himself as a future NFL lineman with stellar blocking, even helping out his former teammate Barner on a couple of carries.  

Aaron Fentress of the Oregonian takes a look at how the two former Oregon players did in the Senior Bowl and also gives an updated list of Duck players in regards to what their stock will be in the upcoming NFL draft.

After giving up the first set to Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic rallied to win three straights sets and eventually his third straight Australian Open title and fourth overall. Nine other players have won consecutive Australian Open titles in the past, but Djokovic now stands alone as the only player to have won it three times in a row.

The Associated Press takes a step back to groom over Djokovic’s recent success and how he continues to prove why he deserves to be mentioned with the best of all-time.

The Daily Press from Hampton Roads, Va., is reporting that Oregon and Virginia have agreed to a home-and-home football series beginning next year. According to the report, Oregon would visit the Cavaliers likely on Sept. 7, and Virginia would come to Autzen Stadium in 2016.