Film: “Man of Steel” looks to be a refreshing approach to an old idol

Posted by Sam Bouchat on Friday, Feb. 1 at 3:01 pm.

From the look of things, “Man of Steel” strives to take the old image of Superman, a corny, clichéd and campy superhero known for bad disguises and virtual invincibility, and revamp it into an emotional and, more importantly, relatable story about a man struggling with the differences he sees inside himself.

Superman appeals to me as more than just a comic book superhero — his alter ego is a journalist. I’ve been disappointed in Superman incarnations of the past for pretty much hastily slapping together his (and love interest Lois Lane’s) journalistic careers. Much like Peter Parker’s job as a freelance photographer at the Daily Bugle, the media-member superhero can offer a level of suspense and stress to films that is not often taken advantage of.

Director Zack Snyder (“Watchmen,” “300″) appears to be taking a more serious approach to Clark Kent’s human job. According to The Guardian, Kent and Lane’s newspaper, The Daily Planet, will be brought into the 21st century, and promo pictures are already being released of Lois Lane (to be played by Amy Adams) holding an iPad.

It looks as if viewers can expect the same refreshing modernism brought to this version of Superman that was recently brought to Batman. “The Dark Knight” trilogy director Christopher Nolan is helping to produce “Man of Steel,” and David S. Goyer, screenplay writer for “Batman Begins” and story writer for “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises,” is writing the screenplay for Snyder’s film.

The trailer offers more insight into this unique take on Superman, barely referencing his boyish charm, signature hair curl and “catch the falling lady in the nick of time” acrobatics. A dramatic score sets up audiences for a peek into the emotional side of this boy-turned-lost-young man (played by Henry Cavill) and his discovery of himself and his powers. Snyder is obviously portraying the man as humanly as possible (despite the fact that he is an alien from the planet Krypton). Perhaps, like Nolan, Snyder wishes to create his own universe, taking only advice and inspiration from the comics.

In any case, June 14 can’t come fast enough, and I only hope that Snyder creates a hero as elegant and vulnerable as Nolan did.