Zone Read AM: Ducks well represented in Super Bowl, Helfrich completes staff

Posted by Eddie Paskal on Friday, Feb. 1 at 12:00 pm.

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past week or so, people are well aware that this upcoming Sunday is one of the greatest Sundays of the year; it is Super Bowl Sunday.

In just a few short days, the San Francisco 49ers will take on the Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans with the winner being named Super Bowl XLVII Champion.

This year’s game will also feature several pro Ducks, highlighted by LaMichael James and Ed Dickson, that have the chance to play big roles for their respective squads.

The Emerald’s Matt Walks takes a more in-depth look at these former Oregon athletes here.

****

New Oregon football coach Mark Helfrich has rounded out his coaching staff for the 2013 campaign.

The man with the job of replacing Chip Kelly has hired Scott Frost as offensive coordinator and Ron Aiken as the defensive line coach.

Both men come in with impressive resumes and as such, expectations will be high for their respective units.

ESPN.com’s Pac-12 blogger Ted Miller provides a more thorough analysis of the hires here.

****

The No. 10 ranked Oregon men’s basketball team will travel to Berkeley to take on the California Golden Bears tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.

After dropping their first game in conference of the year to Stanford 76-52, Dana Altman and the Ducks will look to get back to their winning ways over another quality opponent on the road.

The Golden Bears are coming off a narrow victory over Oregon State at home 71-68 on Thursday evening.

The game against Oregon will be televised on FSN and ROOT.

• Ben Kalb

“Highlighted by Ed Dickson and LaMichael James.” Are you kidding? One of the most dominant players in the NFL is Haloti Ngata of the Ravens. He has more of a chance to be a game decider than James and Dickson. Look, I hope James and Dickson and Will Tukuafu do well in the game but Ngata is a superstar, and that should be noted in your article.