More point guard troubles for the Ducks as Loyd hurts wrist

Oregon guard Johnathan Loyd (10) shoots a three early in the second half against Jacksonville State Nov. 19. (Mason Trinca/Emerald)

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 4:11 pm.

Since Dominic Artis was sidelined with a foot injury, Oregon has struggled to replace the starting point guard. Johnathan Loyd took over starting duties but couldn’t replace Artis’s scoring, and turned the ball over more often than would be desired. Loyd did bring veteran leadership to the Ducks’ starting five.

In the Ducks’ loss to California on Saturday though, Loyd hurt his wrist late in the first half, causing an early trip to the locker room. The Ducks’ guard would play in the second half but did so in obvious pain. While he wasn’t totally ineffective after returning from injury, Loyd was clearly impacted, and it’s unclear if it will continue to impact him down the road.

Loyd was off to a promising start to prior to his injury with five points and five assists at the break, but he would score only three more points and add just two more assists in the second.

Meanwhile, there isn’t a clear timetable for Artis’s return. The freshman is out indefinitely, and while the source who initially broke the news of his injury to The Register-Guard said it’s expected he’ll play again this season, Dana Altman hasn’t set a date for his return.

The injuries have also meant an increase in playing time for Willie Moore. Moore had nine minutes against Cal and made his only shot from the field to go along with his two assists.