ASUO Senate passes UO Iran Resolution

Posted by Ian Campbell on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 9:05 pm.

After the ASUO Senate passed the UO Iran Resolution by a vote of 17-0-0 the University of Oregon became one of the first universities to make a statement condemning an Iran with nuclear weapons.

One week ago representatives from QuackPAC came in to create a working group to draft the UO Iran Resolution; one week later the resolution was passed.

The resolution will take a stand against the proliferation of nuclear weapons in Iran and attempt to pressure state legislators to pass a similar resolution.

Sen. Bryan Vanderpool, who was in favor of the resolution, asked the group what it thought it could actually do once the resolution was passed.

“We’re trying to bring it to our community and hoping that other campuses will pick this up as well,” a group representative said. “Ideally the UO would have this passed and we could take this to the State Senate and have it passed there too.”

Sen. Lamar Wise also approved the resolution but would have liked to see it apply to nuclear weapons in general, not just Iran specifically.

“We feel that if Iran has a nuclear weapon a lot of other countries will feel the need to create their own. By preventing Iran from getting these weapons we will stop those other countries from getting their own,” a group representative said.

Sen. Ben Bowman, who presented with the group agreed that Iran needed to be targeted.

“Iran is a country that has explicitly stated that Israel is a country that shouldn’t exist,” Bowman said.

“They also don’t like America very much,” another group representative said.

• anna sun

ah yes i can hear ahmadinejad quaking in his boots all the way from tehran at this unanimous condemnation from the all powerful ASUO senate. i’m sure he’ll stop fortifying uranium asap

• guest

I’m sure this comment will stop ASUO too.

• AIPAC Sucks

Man, fuck Israel. How come they get nuclear weapons despite being one of the biggest perpetrators of violence in the Middle East? And fuck AIPAC. Stop lobbying to use my taxpayer money to fund the oppression of the Palestinian people.

• ALA_pdx

A nuclear Iran is not just a threat to Israel, it is a threat to the US and any other nation Ahmadinejad decides he is unhappy with or feels threatened by. Furthermore, I’d say do some research before accusing Israel of being the biggest perpetrators of violence in the Middle East.

• AIPAC Sucks

Between Iran, Israel and the United States, Iran is by far the least likely to launch a preemptive nuclear strike. I’ve done research; my conclusion is that Israel is one of the biggest perpetrators of violence in the Middle East.

I’m not scared of Iran. If you are then you’re a coward.

• Guest

“Research” is the most subjectively term used in forums on the internet. Dont make any assertions until you’ve actually seen what goes on with your own eyes

• UselessPoliSciDegree

You give him too little credit. The consequences for a nuclear strike are obvious and impossible to overcome. He knows this.

USSR vs. USA, China vs. USA, India vs. Pakistan: Both sides of a conflict having nuclear weapons makes both parties more sane.

• brudin

No comparison. With Iran, we’re dealing with people who don’t care if they die just to kill others. Cannot be negotiated with

• Rebecca R.

I agree, who is to say that we should be the ones that decide another country’s decisions? I think it is ridiculous that we are pointing fingers at them instead of looking at the sole problem. The only reason why the government doesn’t want Iran to have Nuclear weapons, is because they are afraid of having a world where we are no longer the super power, or the ones telling OTHER countries who have different people, cultures, and ways of life what to do. I believe this is morally corrupt on so many levels.

• MaimsJeweler

All bow before the almighty, far-reaching arm of an organization that is regularly reduced to mutual tears because somebody disagreed with them. Holy shit.

• http://www.facebook.com/fred.hutchison.9 Fred Hutchison

This proves the ASUO is the biggest joke at the UofO… talk about a waste of time. A complete carrier group positioned right off Iran doesn’t deter Iran, yet this is supposed to have some sort of impact?

• JM

Isn’t ASUO supposed to be spending their time.. I don’t know… bettering the UO student body?

• Guest

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen any student body senate ever do. Apartheid Israel can have a dozen or so nuclear weapons, but lets get really worried about Iran! How about a couple more wars? Make the world safer and everything.

• Travis D

This is the stupident thing I’ve ever seen a student body do. Apartheid Israel can have a dozen or so nucelar weapons, but let’s get really worried about Iran. How about a couple more wars? You know, make the world safer for democracy and everything.

• brudin

if Israel’s apartheid, I can’t imagine what you’d call South Africa

• jus-wonderin’

Why are some quoted by name, and others quoted as “group representative”?

• Student

Good news: Iran has agreed to pick up the funding for the OAB.

• Matt

I have no words for the pointlessness of this…

• Jonathan Ng

Unlike Israel (a country currently occupying Palestine, attacking Syria, and which has invaded Lebanon countless times), Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and does not have a recent history of invading its neighbors (the last time it did this was in the mid-19th century). The sanctions the U.S. currently has imposed on Iran are illegal under international law, and such sanctions would be considered a case for war if applied to the U.S. Since the U.S. helped topple the democratically elected Mossedegh government of Iran in 1953, it has had an immoral policy stance towards the country, most notably providing Saddam Hussein chemical weapons with which to wage his war against Iran in the 1980s — a breach of international law the U.S. likes to keep quiet about. Ayatollah Khamanei has repeatedly said that nuclear weapons are un-Islamic. Furthermore, it is a universal right for nations to pursue a nuclear energy program for peaceable purposes. Even if they did procure nuclear weapons this would not be a threat to the U.S. — if anything, it would be a response to U.S. war-posturing, i.e. Obama’s pledge to keep “all options on the table.” An aside: it is illegal under international law to make such threatening comments, as they imply that war is an option in such a perfunctory way that chocolate is an option for your ice-cream cone. Such an “option” is only a luxury for a first-world power that can impose its way with impunity. Ever heard of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars (or Vietnam, the Spanish-American War, the Mexican-American War…). This resolution will only encourage warmongering and embolden white supremacists a la Pamela Geller who rant about the alleged evils of Muslims in American society. An institution of learning should not tolerate such patently immoral casuistry, as no individual or institution should. I am ashamed to be a Duck.

• brudin

This is sarcasm, right?

• Guest

You’re an idiot. Dont know how you got into the university of oregon. Extremely biased opinion here, and you’ve obviously not done enough research (in terms of viewing both sides of the conflict). Israel only invades when they feel, and have good reason to be, threatened. Name an incident and I’ll justify it

• Oregon Commentator

There are many idiots here at the UO. Brudin is not one of them.

• Ramber Alert

wow emermald media and the ASUO are retarded

• Awake