Ducks finish day one at the Amer Ari Invitational in eighth-place tie

Posted by Hayden Kim on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 11:11 pm.

After playing 18 holes at the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii, the University of Oregon men’s golf team (287) finished one-under par as they are currently in a tie with Pac-12 rival, Stanford. The Ducks trail 10 strokes behind leaders TCU and UCLA and will be looking to improve upon their play in day two of competition tomorrow morning.

Leading the way for the Ducks today was sophomore Jonathan Woo who paced the Ducks with a four-under 68, which was good for a second place tie in individual play. Just behind Woo was senior Tyler Parker (70) who finished with a solid two-under round. In addition, freshman Brandon McIver carded an even-par 72 as he finished with the third best outing for the Ducks in day one of play.

Freshman Sulman Raza and senior Robbie Ziegler on the other hand each shot a five-over (77) as they both tied for 96th place. Freshman Zach Foushee also competed as an individual as he finished the day with a four-over 88.

With eight out of the 20 total schools in the Amer Ari Invitational ranking in the top 25 nationally, the Ducks performed well against some of the best in the country and that is a great sign moving forward.

On the horizon: The Ducks will resume play Thursday morning as they set to tee of their second round at the Par-72, 7,074-yard King’s Course in Waikoloa, Hawaii. For all news and recaps following the event, check back here at the Emerald.