Gov. John Kitzhaber’s budget recommends $230.3 million for University of Oregon expansions and renovations

Asbestos, lead paint and leaky pipes are just some of the problems the EMU maintenance staff must deal with. (Tess Freeman/Emerald)

Posted by Kirah Ingram on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 11:02 am.

Gov. John Kitzhaber approved the Oregon University System’s request for higher education capital projects.

In the 2013-15 Governor’s Balanced Budget (PDF), $230.3 million will go to the University of Oregon for expansions and renovations for the following capital projects: Straub and Earl Hall, student recreation center, housing and Erb Memorial Union. Of that total, the Oregon Legislature will only be allocating $11 million towards the Straub and Earl Hall classroom expansions; the rest of the projects will be paid for through XI-F(1) Bonds. And with the use of these bonds, student fees will increase, adding about $315 per year, according to the Register-Guard

The proposed cost for all OUS projects will be around $632 million (PDF), with the budget mostly aiding the University of Oregon, Oregon State University and Portland State University in particular.

In comparison, OSU will receive $68.5 million out of the $137.4 million they need from the state. LCC will receive $8 million from the state, which means their entire project is funded by the state. PSU will receive $40 million out of the $50 million they need.