Local athletes highlight Oregon track and field’s 2013 recruiting class

Haley Crouser launches her throw in the women's javelin on Friday, June 29, 2012 at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials at Hayward Field. (Rockne Andrew Roll/Oregon Daily Emerald)

Posted by McKenna Brown on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 4:07 pm.

Duck football wasn’t the only team adding a few new Ducks today — Oregon’s track and field team picked up some highly-touted native Oregonians as well.

Though Aloha, Ore., running back Thomas Tyner committed to Oregon for football, head football coach Mark Helfrich hinted at a press conference this afternoon that Tyner and Devon Allen (a wide receiver from Phoenix, Ariz.) could compete for track and field next spring.

“Hopefully he’ll (Allen) help TrackTown USA as well as FootballTown USA,” Helfrich said. Of Tyner, Helfrich noted that his “world-class speed (would) help our track team as well.”

One of the biggest signees already committed for the Ducks was Gresham, Ore., native Haley Crouser, who holds the national prep javelin record. Crouser, who as a soon-to-be high school senior made it to the finals of the Olympic Trials in June, will join her older brother, Sam, a redshirt sophomore and Olympic Trials runner-up in his own right.

“We’ll have at least two years together,” Haley told the Register-Guard when she announced her commitment in January. “That will be a really cool experience to compete with him, something that I couldn’t get at any other place.”

The Ducks picked up some local recruits as well — Sheldon High School’s Jackson Darland and Maggie Schmaedick both officially committed to Oregon today, per Register-Guard reporter Curtis Anderson’s Twitter. Darland, the 2012 6A boys cross country state champion, was named the state’s Gatorade Runner of the Year. Schmaedick, the runner-up at the state cross country meet, ran the 5,000-meter race in 17:46, one of three Oregon female prep runners that broke the 18-minute barrier for the first time in nearly 20 years. 

Oregon track and field is expected to officially announce its women’s signing class Thursday or Friday and its men’s signing class sometime next week.

• DDuck

HS cross country is 5,000 meters, not 6,000, like in college, so her 17:46 was for 5,000 meters.