Zone Read AM: Oregon golf tees off, as does National Signing Day

Posted by Matt Walks on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at 8:30 am.

Oregon golf kicks off its 2013 season today at the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii, looking to build on a 2012 campaign that matched the program’s best finish in history.

Head coach Casey Martin saw the team come just one hole short of upsetting top-ranked Texas for the bid in the NCAA Championships, losing 3-2 to the Longhorns in the National Semifinals.

“We played incredibly good golf and even the guys who lost played really well,” Martin said of the match. “Texas was just a stroke or two better than us that day, and I give them all the credit in the world because I think we made them earn it.”

Martin, in his seventh year as coach, will have help from top returner and redshirt senior Robbie Ziegler, who has appeared in 38 career tournaments, according to an athletic department press release. Joining Ziegler will be fellow seniors Tyler Parker and Jack Pennington. Live coverage of the round can be found courtesy Golfstat.com.   

Happy National Signing Day! For college football fanatics, today might as well be Christmas.

It’s National Signing Day, folks. When high school boys become collegiate men by signing NCAA letters of intent to play college football at their respective schools. Oregon will have one of the most anticipated recruiting classes in the country, given its BCS success. Keep your eyes glued right here for all the action, including video from head coach Mark Helfrich’s press conference introducing the fresh batch of Ducks.

Undefeated tennis prepares for Arkansas. Oregon men’s tennis will face its only SEC team of the year this weekend, as the Ducks (6-0) take on Arkansas (7-1) and the New Mexico Lobos (4-3) at the UO Student Center.

Per a University press release: The Razorbacks come into Friday’s match having lost only to Virginia on the road. The Lobos are 4-3 thus far, with all three of their losses coming in road matches. The two visiting teams will face off against each other in Eugene on Saturday at 12 p.m. 

Several Ducks are still undefeated in singles play this dual match season, led by Robin Cambier (5-0), Daan Maasland (6-0), Alex Rovello (6-0) and Brent Chin (4-0). In addition, six different duos have taken the courts for Oregon in doubles, and the Ducks are undefeated in doubles play so far this season.