Oregon men’s basketball give one away against Colorado

Colorado's Josh Scott (40) snatches up a board in Oregon's 47-48 loss to the Buffaloes on Thursday, Feb. 7 at Matthew Knight Arena. (Nate Barrett/Emerald)

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 9:02 pm.

Oregon’s 20 game win streak at Matthew Knight Arena came to an end as the Ducks lost their third straight Pac-12 game, falling to Colorado 48-47. The Ducks led for most of the game but lost the lead in the final 30 seconds and couldn’t come up with a game winner at the last second.

“We had really bad turnovers at the offensive end,” head coach Dana Altman said. “Defensively we didn’t get stops, and the difference in the game was the offensive rebounding. They had 17 second chance points, and we had eight.”

Both teams shot the ball poorly in the first half, but for the first twenty minutes it looked like Oregon had solved the turnover problems that had plagued them since Dominic Artis was sidelined with a foot injury. The Ducks gave away the ball away just four times in the first half after averaging 20 per game over the last three games and went into the locker room leading 28-23.

The second half progressed much like the first, with both teams playing a sloppy game and the Ducks maintaining a single digit lead. Oregon’s biggest lead was just eight points, and it came in the first half. The Ducks twice led by seven in the second half and did so as late as the 4:26 mark when a strong dunk from Carlos Emorygave the Ducks a 47-40 lead.

From that point however, the Ducks couldn’t buy a bucket, and Colorado, little by little, cut into the lead. Still, Oregon held its edge into the final minute until they were bit by the turnover bug once again.

Finally, with 23 seconds left, a tip-in from Andre Roberson gave the Buffs the lead.  Oregon had a chance to win it late, but E.J. Singler’s potential game-winner was affected by Colorado’s Spencer Dinwiddie.

“He got a piece of my hand,” Singler said. “It’s hard to make that call down the stretch.”

It wasn’t the only play where the Matthew Knight Arena crowd felt the Ducks should have gotten a call. The officials seemed to be letting the teams play at both end of the court, but Oregon still finished with twice as many fouls called against the Ducks. Oregon shot just two free throws in the game, making both. Still, the Ducks were in a position to win the game but couldn’t close down the stretch.

“The young men have worked so hard to get in that position,” Altman said. “To not finish is very disappointing. It’s disappointing for our fans, it’s disappointing for anybody who’s watched this team finish the game at UCLA. It’s not like we haven’t finished a couple this year.”

Turning point: After Oregon had led for the entire game, Colorado scored the last eight points of the game to sneak out with the win, snapping the Ducks’ 20 game win streak on their home floor.

On the horizon: Oregon will look to start another win streak — and, more importantly, snap their three game losing streak — against Utah this Saturday at Matthew Knight Arena. All signs point to another missed game for Artis and another start at the point for Johnathan Loyd.

Loyd, who had been questionable after injuring his wrist in the Ducks’ loss to California, started at point guard for the Ducks but didn’t produce offensively, going scoreless with just one assist. Loyd was, to his credit, strong defensively for most of the game, finishing with three steals and a blocked shot.

• Bmoney

Are you kidding me?? Do the Ducks really expect to compete when they play not to lose?? You can’t be a top 20 team that plays so afraid to attack. The last shot was EJ on a turn around fade away. ATTACK! I know we don’t have a point guard but please!! When’s the team that beat Arizona and UCLA?? Stop running the weak outside “spread” and start attacking with our post and athletes attacking the rim!! Hard to watch!