Five Oregon football players invited to NFL Combine

Despite missing almost the entire season due to injury, John Boyett has been invited to the 2013 NFL Draft Combine. (Aaron Marineau/Emerald Archives)

Posted by Matt Walks on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 11:10 am.

The NFL released its annual official invite list to the 2013 Combine, and five Ducks have been offered spots:

Kiko Alonso (linebacker)
Kenjon Barner (running back)
John Boyett (safety)
Dion Jordan (linebacker)
Kyle Long (offensive line)

Curiously, linebacker Michael Clay didn’t make the cut, after posting 101 tackles (including a career season-best 63 solo) during an injury-hampered season this year. He also had career highs in tackles for loss (10.0) and  sacks (3.0). Jordan had more sacks (5.0), and Alonso had more interceptions (four), but neither brought the vocal leadership Clay provided.

Still, it’s encouraging to see the NFL give Boyett a shot to see what he can do. After undergoing a season-ending surgery on both knees following the first week of the season, some thought Boyett would eschew a shot in the pros. He averaged 92 tackles per season during his first three years.

Jordan is still the first Duck projected to go in the draft, with ESPN slating him to be drafted sometime near the end of the first round.

The week-long NFL Combine begins on Feb. 20, and the 2013 NFL Draft begins April 25.