No. 19 Oregon men’s basketball look to return to form against Colorado

Jonathan Loyd celebrates after nailing a three-pointer right before the first half buzzer against Vanderbilt November 16, 2012. (Alex McDougall/Emerald)

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 9:27 am.

Oregon still leads the Pac-12, technically, but the stranglehold the Ducks had on the conference a week ago is long gone. The Ducks were swept in the Bay Area — an all too familiar occurrence to fans of Duck basketball — and dropped from 10th to 19th in the top 25. The Ducks were already without freshman point guard Dominic Artis when the trip started, and a wrist injury to Johnathan Loyd has raised even more questions at the point guard position.

It’s unclear how much, if any, time Loyd will miss, and the Ducks still haven’t offered a timetable for Artis’s return. If Loyd is sidelined with the injury, it will mean a start for Willie Moore. It would also mean Dana Altman would be forced to use E.J. Singler at the point to take some of the pressure off of the young, largely untested Moore.

The Ducks’ opponent on Thursday night, Colorado, has been a hard team to judge this season. The Buffaloes went into Tucson and very nearly beat a then-undefeated Arizona team (Buffs fans would no doubt blame the officiating for the loss, and they’d have an argument) but also lost to lowly Utah.

Colorado is led in scoring by a pair of sophomores, Spencer Dinwidde and Askia Booker, averaging 14.7 and 14.1 points per game respectively.