Preview: Track and field competes in Husky Classic and Tyson Invitational this weekend

Posted by Beth Maiman on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 11:12 pm.

Indoor track and field will compete this weekend in Seattle, Wash., at the Husky Classic as well as at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark.

The Husky Classic kicks off Friday afternoon and continues Saturday morning. A handful of distance and middle distance All-Americans represent Oregon in Seattle.

Three of the notable events for the Ducks will be the women’s 5,000 meters on Friday night, where All-Americans Jordan Hasay, Alexi Pappas and Katie Conlon are entered. In addition, both the men’s and women’s miles are on Saturday, where the Ducks will run Becca Friday, Anne Kesselring, Megan Patrignelli and Sarah Penney for the women and Mac Fleet, Boru Guyota, Chad Noelle, Brett Johnson and Matt Miner for the men.

Oregon football’s De’Anthony Thomas is set to make his indoor debut for the Ducks in the 60 meters. Along with Thomas, football players B.J. Kelley and Dior Mathis will also compete.

In other women’s events, Claudia Francis will race in the 800 meters, Lauren Crockett and Chancey Summers are in the high jump, Sammie Clark will compete in pole vault and Laura Bobek and Jillian Weir are in both the shot put and weight throw.

For the men’s events, Jeramy Elkaim will run in the 5,000 meters, Johnathan Cabral is in the 60 meter hurdles and redshirt freshman Chris Brewer is scheduled to open in the 3,000.

Other Ducks men competing are decathlete Dakotah Keys, who is entered in the 60 meter hurdles, high jump and pole vault, along with Austin Ouderkirk in the pole vault. Oregon native Sam Crouser will compete in shot put; Trevor Ferguson will go in both the long jump and triple jump.

Sophomore English Gardner is set to make her indoor debut at the Tyson Invitational in Arkansas on Friday morning. She is entered in both the 60 meters and the 200, though she may opt not to run in both.

The women also have freshman Jenna Prandini in the 60 and 200 meters. Juniors Phyllis Francis and Chizoba Okodogbe will race in the 400.

In the 800 meters, junior Laura Roesler and freshman Annie Leblanc will contest for the Ducks.

The men entered sophomore Arthur Delaney in the 60, junior Mike Berry and sophomore Jack Galpin in the 400 and junior Elijah Greer in the 800.

Both the men and women will also enter a 4×400 meter relay team.

In this week’s USTFCCCA poll, the men were ranked fourth, while the women checked in at No. 5.