Wknd Events: TEDxUOregon arrives this weekend

Posted by Kaitie Todd on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 1:01 pm.

— Feb. 9, TEDxUOregon

A program based off of Technology, Entertainment Design — the famous nonprofit behind the annual TED conferences and TED talks — TEDxUOregon is a local and independently organized event that will be held on campus this weekend. Operating under the theme of “Curiosity and Resistance: Diversity is Critical to Thinking,” TEDxUOregon will feature live speakers, who will be exploring diversity on the University of Oregon campus, as well as relevant video TED talks.

Speakers include several UO faculty members, including Brendan Bohannan, a professor of biology; Sara Hodges, an associate professor in the psychology department; and Andrew Nelson, an assistant professor of management.

Tyree Harris, a senior journalism student and former editor-in-chief of the Emerald is also set to speak, along with Major Caroline Jensen, a U.S. Airforce pilot, Ian Haney Lopez, a law professor at UC-Berkley and Carmen Urbina, diversity coordinator for the Eugene School District 4J.

Tickets to the live audience portion of the event have already sold out, but tickets to see the event live-streamed are available for free and can be found at the TEDxUOregon website. The event will be live-streamed at the following locations: The Mills International Center, Living Learning Center, Ford Alumni Center (Room 202) and Allen Hall (Room 221). TEDxUOregon begins at 9 a.m. and is set to end at 4 p.m.