Zone Read PM: Ducks return to Matthew Knight, spring sports kick off seasons

Posted by Isaac Rosenthal on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 4:02 pm.

After a road trip that saw them lose their first two conference games of the year, the Ducks will put their 20-game win streak at Matthew Knight Arena on the line as they host the Colorado Buffaloes. The Ducks have struggled to replace the injured Dominic Artis and may be in more trouble at the point guard position depending on how Johnathan Loyd’s hand feels after he injured it against Stanford.

Oregon has turned Matthew Knight into a fortress over the past year, but one thing from Mac Court has not made its way across campus. The Ducks’ championship banners, commemorating Oregon’s Pac-12 and national championships, are unlikely to make the trip because of problems with Matthew Knight’s sprinkler system.

****

Oregon softball opens their season this week in Arizona. The Ducks went to the Women’s College World Series last year, and with several key players returning, Mike White and company look poised to make another long postseason run.

****

The train wreck that is the 2012-2013 Lakers season, continues to provide fodder for Laker haters, with the latest drama stemming from Kobe Bryant’s criticism of Dwight Howard’s supposed resistance to playing through injury. Howard is hitting back now, essentially saying Bryant has no business criticizing him for not playing during an injury.

****

Oregon women’s soccer coach Kat Mertz has hired former US National Team member Christie Welsh to her support staff. The Ducks also signed six recruits as part of national signing day.