Music: Flying Lotus announces new side project

Posted by Kevin Piaskowski on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 9:00 am.

Over the last six months or so, a mysterious name was driving the Internet world wild. The name was Captain Murphy. The culprit? Los Angeles-based multi-genre, experimental producer extraordinaire, Flying Lotus. 

Steven Ellison recently gave his first interview on the Captain Murphy project to XXL. Ellison explained that the project stemmed from a variety of different influences, but specifically the project allowed him to pursue a new outlet where he could express himself lyrically without any external pressure. Turns out, the project for him is quite the success. Not only does it allow Ellison to pursue new territory musically, it brings him back to his hip-hop roots.

As a fledgling producer in Los Angeles, Ellison bridged electronic music and hip-hop under the Flying Lotus moniker. He tells XXL that he gravitated towards electronic music because it had significantly less limitations. Basically, he didn’t feel like he had to fit a certain mold to be accepted as a producer.

Captain Murphy, however, is a return to his hip-hop background. He cites working with Tyler, The Creator, Earl Sweatshirt and other Odd Future members as a start to embarking on this project. Now, Ellison is working on more music for the Captain Murphy project, which should be released in the coming months.

• the dude

This is news? FlyLo played clips of Cpt Murphy songs at shows all over the country this summer. The album is already out. It’s called Duality. Datpiff that shit