Zone Read AM: Defensive pressure the key to a Ducks win over Washington tonight, indoor track and field remains in the top 10

Posted by Beth Maiman on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 9:27 am.

Tonight, the men’s basketball team faces the Washington Huskies at the Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle, Washington. After three straight Pac-12 losses, the Ducks dropped four spots to No. 23 in the AP poll this week. This will be the 294th game between the two schools, the second-longest rivalry in the conference, trailing only the Oregon-Oregon State rivalry. At their last meeting on January 26th in Eugene, the Ducks won 81-76, shooting 57.8 percent from the field. Also contributing was Arsalan Kazemi, who had 11 points and 11 rebounds in the win for Oregon. The Oregonian’s Adam Jude takes a look at how defensive pressure could be the key to a Duck victory tonight in Seattle.

****

Today, the Oregon women’s golf team finishes up play today at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, California. The team struggled yesterday, finishing up the day at 10th place. Look here for the Emerald’s full recap of yesterday. The last day of the Northrop Grumman began today at 8 a.m. with the Ducks looking to finish strong and make a jump in the event rankings.

****

In the most recent USTFCCCA indoor track and field rankings, the Oregon men’s track team dropped from fourth to eighth, while the women’s team remained unchanged at No. 5 English Gardner and Jordan Hasay are expected to compete in the Millrose Games, Saturday in New York City. Gardner is entered in the women’s 60 meters, while Hasay will compete in the women’s mile.

****

In other college basketball rivalries, last night the eighth-ranked Michigan State Spartans beat the No. 4 Michigan Wolverines 75-52. Also last night, No. 7 Florida was victorious over No. 25 and defending national champion Kentucky 69-52.