Zone Read PM: Dion Jordan’s draft stock, Alex Smith possibly on the move

Posted by Eddie Paskal on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 2:24 pm.

Dion Jordan’s touted as top OLB — With the Super Bowl a few weeks in our rear view mirror, the event now captivating the minds of football fans everywhere is the NFL Draft.

The results of the combine and the ever-changing carousel of who will be the first-overall pick provides hours of entertainment and countless talking points for members of the media.

NFL.com’s Mike Mayock has recently published his top-five rankings per position, and Oregon’s outside linebacker Dion Jordan is rated No. 1 at his position; Kiko Alonso is rated as the No. 5 inside linebacker.

****

Dustin Haines steps up in the community The first names that come to mind when thinking about Oregon quarterbacks are the likes of Jeremiah Masoli, Dennis Dixon and now Marcus Mariota. These athletes have run the fast-paced offense Oregon has become synonymous for to near perfection, and as a result, the program is more nationally recognizable than it has been in years.

However, it’s important to remember the work these student athletes do off the field as well.

At times, we can forget the effect these players have in the community as well as in between the hash marks of Autzen Stadium.

The Register-Guard’s Rob Moseley looks at Dustin Haines, one of the Ducks backup signal callers, and the positive work he does in the community.

****

It’s no secret that this year’s draft class is not deep in the quarterback department — Compared to years previous when quarterbacks like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III were consensus first rounders, there is no standout QB this year.

For this reason, Alex Smith, the former starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, is a hot commodity.

He was drafted No. 1 overall out of Utah in 2005 and held down the starting position in San Francisco until earlier this year, when Colin Kaepernick and his athletic mobility took over after Smith was forced to sit a game with a concussion.

Smith has made it known he wants out of the Bay Area, and it is reported that Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs may come knocking on his door.