Zone Read PM: Ducks try to hurdle Cal, spring football storylines to follow

Posted by Eddie Paskal on Thursday, Feb. 21 at 2:01 pm.

Oregon looks to hurdle past Cal. In sports, sometimes a team just has your number. Seemingly no matter what you do or how you game plan, the opposition seems to come out on top. This has been the California Golden Bears for Oregon men’s basketball the past five years.

Since 2008 the Ducks have not beaten Cal, and the team from Berkeley has been a perennial thorn in their side. However, this is not the same Oregon team from previous years.

These Ducks have aspirations of winning the Pac-12 and making a run in the NCAA tournament. However, in order for this to happen, Dana Altman and his team must break this streak and get a win over California.

The Register-Guard’s Bob Clark talks about why the matchup tonight will be no easy task.

****

Going into the spring game last year, Oregon fans were unsure of who their starting quarterback in the fall would be. Bryan Bennett seemed to have the inside track to the job until a redshirt freshman from Hawaii dazzled coaches and fans with his raw athletic ability and cannon for an arm.

Presumably having a quarterback returning is a good thing; it provides consistency and familiarity with the playbook. However, not all the schools in the Pac-12 are fortunate enough to have their signal caller returning.

ESPN.com’s Ted Miller takes a look at teams with questions at quarterback and other story lines to watch in the spring.

****

Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius, who is currently standing trial for killing his girlfriend, is now seeing his endorsement deals vanish.

The South African runner has lost his sponsorship deal with Nike and Oakley, as well as the fragrance company Thierry Mugler.