Women’s lacrosse beats High Point 7-6 in final seconds

EDIT20130302_8152

Posted by Beth Maiman on Saturday, Mar. 2 at 7:43 pm.

The women’s lacrosse team beat the High Point Panthers 7-6 in a game that came down to the final seconds.

In the first half, High Point was the first to score after starting goalie Caroline Federighi suffered an injury going for a steal, causing goalie Salliebeth Finnegan to step up for the Ducks between the pipes.

“I will give most of (the credit) to Salliebeth Finnegan. She has been doing an amazing job,” head coach Jen Larsen Beck said.

With fifteen minutes left in the first half, Oregon first got on the board with a goal from junior Nikki Puszcz, assisted by Shannon Propst. High Point then answered with a goal from Jasmine Jordan.

In the first half, Oregon struggled on offense with creating scoring opportunities and both teams headed into the locker room at half with the Panthers leading 3-1.

Turning Point: The Ducks were steadier in the second half and moved the ball well on offense. The Ducks got the first goal of the half with a crease roll from Kate Cathell. Right after Oregon scored another one off a crease roll from Propst, evening up the score 3-3.

High Point then answered back with a goal from Christie Dougherty. However, the Ducks were able to attack again with goals from Prost, Puszcz and freshman Carly O’Connell.

“We were just able to collect ourselves after halftime,” Beck said. “It’s nice to get out there and then have a halftime. However, I don’t want to spend a whole half doing that, but we are working on that and I think it is something we will fix by Monday.”

Oregon used the clock well in the second half, but the Panthers would not let up. High Point scored with five minutes left, tying up the score once again at 6-6. The game came down to the wire with the Ducks coming up with the win on a goal from O’Connell with four seconds left.

“We practice that every day, what to do when we need a goal with under a minute left,” O’Connell said. “I was pretty sure we had the goal and we had momentum coming into the second half.”

On the horizon: The Ducks look to their game against Vermont on Monday at Papé Field.