Ducks baseball drops second straight to Cal State Fullerton

Posted by Aubrey Wieber on Sunday, Mar. 3 at 10:24 am.

The No.14 Ducks lost their second straight contest to No.17 Cal State Fullerton Saturday in a 5-2 game where, surprisingly, the Ducks finished with one more hit than the Titans.

With the loss, the Ducks retain a 7-3 record while the Titans remain undefeated at 10-0.

Contrasting with Friday’s game, the Titans went on a board early, in the first inning, when Michael Lorenzen hit a three-run homer off of starter Tommy Thorpe with two outs in the inning. It was the first home-run given up by a Ducks pitcher, save the inside-the-park homerun from Friday’s game.

Justin Garza took the mount for the Titans, going a full eight innings while facing just 30 batters while giving up six hits and two runs to improve to 3-0 on the season.

Ryon Healy continued his strong offensive season, going 2-4 from the plate. For the Titans, Lorenzen hit 2-3 with three RBI.

Turning Point. The Ducks made some noise in the sixth with a two RBI triple from Kyle Garlick. The run scored Healy and Scott Heineman and looked like it was going to spark a rally. Next up was Ryan Hambright who ripped one up the middle, only to be fielded by a tough, diving grab by Titans second baseman Jake Jefferies.

On the Horizon. Oregon has one last shot at the Titans, which will come Sunday at noon. Cole Irvin (2-0), the freshman who has impressed fans in the young season, will take to the mound to face Grahamm Wiest (1-0) for the Titans.

• Joseph

“one last shit at the Titans…”