Oregon baseball finds offense to snag 9-1 win against Cal State Fullerton

Posted by Aubrey Wieber on Sunday, Mar. 3 at 3:55 pm.

Freshman pitcher Cole Irvin — who, with his third win in as many tries, is starting to look like Oregon’s most valuable pitching asset — took to the mound Sunday and pitched seven innings, allowing eight hits but only one run. His solid performance, along with some much needed hitting, helped the Ducks get a win in the final game of the series against Cal State Fullerton.

With the 9-1 win, Oregon improved to 8-3, while CSF received their first loss of the season and are now 10-1.

Oregon busted out of their hitting slump to tally 14 hits, leading to the nine runs. Ryan Hambright led the Ducks by going 3-of-4 from the plate with three RBI. He came into the season as one of Oregon’s top hitters but struggled in the first ten games, getting just two hits in 36 at bats.

Ryon Healy, Brett Thomas and Shaun Chase each had two hits, including a solo shot from Chase — his third career home run — in the eighth that acted as insurance.

Turning Point. Going into the sixth, the Ducks had a 3-1 lead before Thomas and Hambright both drove in runs to extend the lead to 5-1. From that point on, the Ducks were rolling. In the seventh, J.J. Altobelli led off with a double and eventually scored on an RBI by Aaron Payne. In the eighth, Chase went yard to push the lead to six runs. Payne and Scott Heineman also pushed in runs in the inning.

Jimmie Sherfy came on in the ninth to assure an Oregon win, giving up one hit and no runs.

On the Horizon. Oregon heads back to Eugene for a two-game series against Cal State Northridge. Game one is Monday at 6p.m.