Zone Read AM: Disappointing night for Ducks’ basketball, A.J. McCarron won national title while injured

Zone Read Banner AM

Posted by Beth Maiman on Friday, Mar. 8 at 10:30 am.

Thursday was a disappointing day for Ducks’ basketball.

In a game where Oregon could have clinched the No. 1 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament, they lost 76-53 to Colorado.

This was their second loss to the Buffaloes this season and the fourth time in the last five meetings.

Last night, the women’s basketball team lost to the Huskies in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament in Seattle, Wash.

The Ducks were leading at halftime 39-28, but even I had no answer for Washington’s Jazmine Davis, who scored 28 points to lead a second-half rally to win, 69-62.

Ariel Thomas led the No. 12 seed Ducks with 13 points. Jillian Alleyne scored 11, and she along with Liz Brenner grabbed 15 rebounds apiece.

****

The women’s lacrosse team will try to expand their three-game winning streak when they play Davidson this evening at Papé Field.

On Monday, Oregon knocked off Vermont, 14-13, in triple overtime. The Ducks got the game-winning goal from junior midfielder, Nikki Puszcz, who also had her first hat trick of the season.

Oregon is 4-0 all-time against Davidson. But Friday’s match marks the first time the Ducks and Wildcats are playing in Eugene.

The first draw is set for 5 p.m.

****

The 2013 NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championshipkicks off Friday and continues through Saturday at the University of Arkansas’ Randall Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville. The women’s team is the three-time defending champion and will have 13 entries, including reigning 60-meter champion English Gardner.

The men look to improve on last season’s six-point total with nine entries headed to Razorback territory.

The women come into the NCAA Championships ranked No. 4 in the final USTFCCCA poll, while the men are at No. 5.

****

According to ESPN, the Big East announced Friday it has agreed to allow the Catholic 7 schools to depart on June 30.

The Catholic 7 schools — DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova — will form a 10-team league by adding Butler, Xavier and likely Creighton, sources told ESPN’s Andy Katz.

Sources have also told ESPN that the Catholic 7 will keep the Big East Conference name and have the right to play its league tournament in Madison Square Garden.

****

Chris Low of ESPN reports that Alabama’s quarterback, A.J. McCarron, played the final six games of this year’s national championship season with injured ribs.

McCarron, who led the Crimson Tide to their second-straight national title, was injured on a sack during a game against Mississippi State on Oct. 27. He said he was injured on a sack and had to limit his throwing in practice thereafter.