Letter: Activists form Students Against Imperialism to fight for justice

Posted by Emerald on Wednesday, Mar. 13 at 9:48 pm.

Students Against Imperialism has formed as we saw the need to challenge imperialism where the United State is the world’s leading colonial power. This group was formerly known as Students for Palestinian Liberation. Now, we have combined SPL with other students and community members organizing for justice on the Mexico/USA border—with particular emphasis on how the two issues interconnect.

The US is trying to deport 11 million unrecognized workers living in the US. Even as mass deportation is being threatened, the US privatizes and appropriates resources from countries where workers fled from. This policy rips families apart; in Bend, Ore., there is a family where a deported mother has been torn from her three now-orphaned children, and the US immigration policy is a racist human rights disaster.

The same US government which has horrible immigration policy also pays $7 million a day to pay for Israel’s war machine against the Palestinians. With checkpoints, bombings, total domination of land, air and water, Palestine is facing an especially disturbing case of human rights violations. The US is backing the violence of Israel claiming the need for a democratic ally in the region — any ally who acts in this way is no friend of democracy.

The US imperial attitudes on the border with Mexico and in Israel/Palestine are examples of racial and imperial conflicts, with gendered and class implications. We must dislocate these power relations to live in a more just and equitable society. Join us this Thursday in the EMU amphitheater from 1-3pm as Students Against Imperialism will be gathering to perform a Direct Action in solidarity with Mexico and Palestine.

Toward Justice and in Solidarity,

Diana Salazar & Cims Gillespie

• Brudin

If Israel were a person, he or she would have a libel claim against these two people

• Nemo

If Israel were a person, he or she would be a violent racist with a depraved indifference to human life.

• Brudin

You are so delusional it’s not even funny. Hamas deliberately kills as many Israelis as it can. Israel fires back at the terrorists and their weaponry, and inadvertently kills civilians. Hamas views civilian deaths as a means to their end of eradicating a state. Israel views civilian as an unfortunate side effect of protecting its own. The blame lies on Hamas for instigating attacks against Israel, then deliberately hiding among highly-populated areas to make Israel look like the bad guy when it defends itself. Apparently you fall for what a terrorist group is trying to convince you of, I don’t.

You are to Israel what Glenn Beck is to Obama, and if this is due to any class you’ve taken, I suggest trying to get your money back.

• Nemo

After “Operation Cast Lead”, Israeli soldiers put out a line of celebratory tee-shirsts. One had a picture of a Palestinian child in the crosshairs of a telescopic gun site. The cation reads “The smaller, the harder”. Another had a picture of a pregnant woman in the crosshairs with the caption, “One shot, two kills”. Another had a picture of a woman sobbing over a dead baby lying in a pool of blood with a caption from a condom ad, “Better use Durex”.

• brudin

I said before you do to Israel what Glenn Beck does to Obama. I thank you for backing me up on that

• Nemo

39% of Israelis think Obama is Muslim, most Israeli Jews supported Romney, Israelis have denounced Obama as an anti-Semite for not supporting Mubarak. Israel is a nation of Glenn Becks.

• Arafat

I’m sure glad Obama supported the Muslim Brotherhood. They have made life so much better for women and Coptic Christians. Now they can all hide in their homes 24/7 for fear of the Muslim Brotherhood fanatics. Yes, their lives are so much better thanks to Obama’s policies. LOL

• SuckItUp

Are you jewish, Ben Rudin?

• Arafat

Are people who support Hamas akin to people who supported
            the Nazis?

Seems to me they are.

Nazis destroyed all the Jews of Europe. Hamas never stops talking about destroying
            Jews.

Nazis depicted Jews as beneath contempt just as Hamas
            does. Nazis blamed Jews for all their
            problems and so does Hamas.

Seems to me the only difference is Hamas does not have the
            military required to really kill off all the Jews of Israel. If they did have these weapons everyone knows
            they would use them as indiscriminately as the Nazis did.

I wonder what sort of person supports an organization that
            is today’s Nazis. What moral and
            intellectual blindness do these Nazi worshippers suffer from?

• Even Prouder Duck

I didn’t know that UOMatters teamed up with the SPL. Or at least Harbaugh gave them writing lessons.

• anon

I’m glad that all students can voice their opinion, but this letter is just as biased as the “bomb ‘em to hell” type of conservatives. As someone who has been to Israel, Palestine, and Syria the issue is more complicated than “Israel is a US backed aggressor violating human rights.” Neither side of the conflict is right and there is no equitable solution. What people ought to support is looking into both sides and empathy for why people believe what they believe. Furthermore, Israel’s policy towards Palestine is not race-based, it is security-based. I hope to have a few good discussions with the people gathering at the EMU this week.

• moderate

hear hear!

• shhhhh

DOn’t use logic! NO NO NO Logic is bad! I prefer to continue with emotionally charged opinions rather than properly analyzing the situation anyways.

• YoMama

@anon Israels policy towards Palestine is race based. “Security-based” is a code word. Look at how they segregate both populations. Remind you of the US in the past?

• brudin

You’re doing to Israel what Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh do to Obama. Cut the bullshit

• anon

Israel’s policy towards Palestine is indeed security-based. If anything else it would be religiously based, not race-based. For example before Ariel Sharon had the West Bank Separation Barrier (more neutrally referred to as “the wall” by the UN) built there were suicide bombing deaths by the hundred and injuries by the thousand in Jerusalem. After the wall was built there were just 4 bombing related deaths. Israel has nothing to gain from hurting Palestinians – they act as utilitarian as possible i.e. if Israel builds a wall between them and the Palestinians lives get saved. It’s a tough political call (and according to the UN illegal).

And the populations are segregated in civil affairs because it’s best for everyone, not because of hate. Secular Jews have their own public schools, as do the Orthodox and Muslims. However a lot of Muslims and other Arabs living or born in Israel, despite some de facto state segregation, identify as Israeli, serve in the Israeli military, and aim to be harbingers of peace in the region.

Most of the conflict is over territory, not religion, race, economy, or weapons, etc.

• dollym100

I would find much more credibility for their rationale in building “the wall” if they had not stolen Palestinian land to build it and allowed it to isolate whole Palestinian communities. If they want security they should pay the cost themselves (along with the US taxpayers) and not take land they do not own.

• brudin

They didn’t steal any Palestinian land: http://youtu.be/ub2x5UvjUs4

• brudin

Oh, my mistake…I have been living a lie this whole time. Israelis DID steal Palestinian lands and have been illegally occupying it for years — in addition to treating the Palestinians much like the Nazis treated the Jews (of course, just short of overtly killing them on a mass scale.) Of course, even the Israelis treated like absolute dirt any Holocaust survivors who made it to Israel.

In fact, I support a one-state solution.

My apologies to all the people I have offended with my pro-Israeli rhetoric for all the time I have been trolling the Emerald website. I’ll strive to be a better person from now on.

• Arafat

That Israel is still the subject of hatred is deeply
        disturbing and one of the forces that drives my support for the Jewish State.

In choosing not to stand idly by as the age-old hatred of
        the Jewish people has been transferred to the “collective Jew,” I have been
        speaking up against the new anti-Semitism that is so pervasive today.

It targets the Jewish people by targeting the Jewish
        homeland, as the source of injustice and conflict in the world.

It is perversely couched in the language of human rights.

Just as conventional anti-Semitism denied Jews the right to
        live as equal members of humanity, the new anti-Semitism denies the State of
        Israel the right to live as an equal member of the international community.

• Jay Knott

Comments about the barbarism of Israel, t-shirts with children in rifle cross-hairs etc. miss the point. Defenders of Zionism could easily, and do, find equally barbaric examples from the Islamic world. The point is that the Jewish state is founded on ongoing ethnic cleansing. If you are Jewish, even if none of your ancestors lived in Palestine, you have the right to live there. People whose grandparents were born there don’t have the right to live there, because they don’t belong to the Jewish race. And THEY complain about RACISM?!? There is a building on the UofO campus which promotes this ethnic cleansing. Jewish racism is the only one which has this privilege.

• Jack Klompus

Wow I can feel the system quaking in its boots. Are you going to cover your faces with bandanas for an extra “radical fashion” touch?

• Arafat

Why is it Muslims are free to violently conquer lands
    anywhere and everywhere

without a word of protest from American Muslims, or any
    Muslims for that

matter, but if Jews have a legally established homeland
    Muslims will never stop

protesting against it? Why is this do you suppose? What
    explanation can be

given other than as the Qur’an states repeatedly that
    Islam’s goal is to

establish a worldwide caliphate in which all non-Muslims are
    subjugated.

For instance, Mohammed was born around 571 AD thousands and
    thousands of years

after Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism existed. But within a
    few centuries of

Mohammed’s birth Islam had violently conquered vast sections
    of Asia, all of

North Africa and smaller sections of Southern Europe.

Now Muslims tell us that all this land belongs to them even
    though, for

instance, in Afghanistan they killed every last Buddhist who
    once lived there.

According to Muslim logic per Israel shouldn’t this land
    belong to the

Buddhists?

Or in North Africa all the Berbers have been forcibly
    converted to Islam or

have been killed and now we’re told all this vast landmass
    belongs to Islam.

That’s interesting, if not completely hypocritical. And what
    about Southern

Thailand. Did anyone know that in the last several years
    something like 5,000

Buddhists have been killed by Muslims because, or so we’re
    told, the land the

Buddhists are on belongs to Islam. And Southern Russia?
    Muslims are

relentlessly waging a slow reign of terror in Russia
    because, you guessed it,

Russians are treating Muslims poorly and they should give up
    the Southern

section of that country to Muslims.

Or, let’s take Sudan as another example. How many millions
    have been killed in

Sudan? How many babies and children have starved in Sudan
    while Islamists steal

the food from aid compounds? How many women have Muslims
    gang-raped in Sudan

all because that land belongs to Muslims and only Muslims.
    All other people can

go somewhere else to live, I guess.

And Kashmir? The same. Despite Hindus having lived there for
    3,000 years –

something like 2,000+ years before Mohammed was born –
    Muslims tell us Kashmir

belongs to them. Amazing logic isn’t it?

And that brings us to Israel. Israel also belongs to Islam.
    Did you know that?

It’s true. Even though it’s no bigger than a small pimple on
    the caliphate’s

ass it is still their land and they will fight to the death
    to prove their

point.

Doesn’t the logic here make a lot of sense. Isn’t it as
    clear as day? Of course

it is. The world belongs to Islam and we’re mere players on
    their stage.