Oregon football guilty of ‘major’ violations, according to newly released documents

Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly and athletic director Rob Mullens, reportedly met with the NCAA committee last month. The NCAA has been investigating the Oregon Football program's relationship with certain scouting services. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by McKenna Brown on Monday, Apr. 15 at 10:32 pm.

Portland’s KATU.com received documents Monday from the University of Oregon that give Duck fans the first real glimpse into the NCAA violations the football program faces.

The documents, which were obtained through a records’ request the station made back in September, detail the violations agreed upon by both the NCAA and the Oregon athletic department.

According to what NCAA enforcement staff wrote in the documents, “There were underlying major violations coupled with failure to monitor violations involving the head coach (2009 through 2011) and the athletics department (2008-2011).

“While the violations were not intentional in nature,” the documents continued, “coaches and administrators of a sports program at an NCAA member institution have an obligation to ensure that the activities being engaged in comply with NCAA legislation.”

KATU reports the documents reveal seven key findings that will impact the Ducks’ fate with the NCAA:

“Finding 1 – Will Lyles had impermissible contact with prospective student athletes

Finding 2 – The school paid for recruiting services that violated NCAA rules

Finding 3 – Heavily redacted

Finding 4 – The school made 730 impermissible phone calls

Finding 5 – Too many coaches were involved in recruiting

Finding 6 – Did the school promote an atmosphere of compliance?

Finding 7 – The school failed to properly monitor recruiting practices”

More to come.

• Late and lazy.

These documents are from September. They ended the summary disposition attempt in December. Old news. Nice try, though.

• Ed Nauseum

NIXON ELECTED FOR SECOND TERM
    Media Promises ‘More Old Stories..’