Oregon baseball falls in second game against Seattle, 3-2

Posted by Aubrey Wieber on Wednesday, May. 1 at 7:40 pm.

For the second-straight night, Oregon struggled against a lowly Seattle team. On Tuesday, helped by an incredible seven RBI by Oregon’s Mitchell Tolman, the Eugene-based team came out with a 12-7 victory.

But, Wednesday was a different story, as the Ducks were unable to match their offensive production from the night prior and lost to the Redhawks, 3-2.

Tolman again was the most prolific Duck, going 1-3 and driving in Oregon’s only two runs to give him nine runs batted in two games. Brett Thomas was the only Duck with a multihit game, going 2-5. Scott Heineman, Aaron Payne and Steven Packard all chipped in a hit as well.

Clayton Crum got the start for Oregon, going three innings while giving up two runs. Cole Wiper came in to throw the fourth and fifth, giving up a run on two hits. Jared Priestley, Jordan Spencer and Garrett Cleavinger all went an inning, holding off the Redhawk offense, to close the game.

Turning Point — Oregon threatened a rally with corner bases in the top of the ninth with one out. Thomas took to the plate but ended up grounding out into a 4-6-3 double play to end the game and Oregon’s six-game winning streak.

On the Horizon — Oregon will take up play again Friday when they head to Pullman, Wash., to take on Washington State. The first of the three-game series will kick off Friday at 6 p.m. Tommy Thorpe will take the mound for Oregon.