25 Ducks: Double Master’s student Jessica Bloomfield wants to revive American cities

(Michael Arellano/Emerald)

(Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Posted by Hannah Taylor on Thursday, May. 2 at 6:00 am.

Jessica Bloomfield

Age: 26

Major: Master’s Degree in Law and Community and Regional Planning (J.D./M.C.R.P.)

Year: graduate (2013)

Jessica Bloomfield is a founding member of the University of Oregon’s Sustainable Cities Initiative, through which she has helped organize international conferences that promote dialogue between universities and their communities regarding sustainable practices. She is currently wrapping up not one, but two masters degrees at the university.

Why are you at the UO?

The unique dual-degree program that I am pursing focuses on the intersection of law, policy, and sustainable urban planning. The UO supported my ambitions by providing the perfect combination of multi-disciplinary academic courses, internship opportunities, and real-world experiences. Oregon offered a program that fit exactly what I wanted to do; law and event planning. I also really love the town of Eugene.

How do you want to change the world?

I envision a career that changes urban transportation and land use policy at the federal level. I want to fundamentally revive American cities by improving public transportation systems, linking and diversifying land uses, protecting the built and natural environments and investing in a more sustainable future.