Zone Read: De’Anthony Thomas makes Paul Hornung Award watch list, Andy Murray advances to Wimbledon final

ZONEREADsized

Posted by Hayden Kim on Friday, Jul. 5 at 2:01 pm.

Named after Louisville native and former Green Bay Packers’ NFL Hall-of-Fame running back Paul Hornung and awarded to college football’s most versatile player in the country by Texas Roadhouse is the Paul Hornung Award. Recently announced by the Louisville Sports Commission, Oregon’s De’Anthony Thomas has been named to the 2013 Paul Hornung Award List making it his second nomination in two years. Thomas is among a pool of 44 total players and is one of four Pac-12 players in the running for the award.

***

Eugene native Craig Leon recently became the 15th runner to win multiple Butte to Butte races. Not only did Leon win the yearly 10k race, Leon joined an elite class of runners as he became the first runner to win back-to-back Butte to Butte’s since Bret Schoolmeester in 2008 and 2009. After finishing 10th overall (third American) in the Boston Marathon last April, the 28-year old runner continues to add onto his long list of accolades, making his hometown proud.

***

After dropping the first set for the second time in two matches, England native Andy Murray overcame No. 24 ranked Jerzy Janowicz to advance to the Wimbledon final. In the final, Murray will face off against No. 1 ranked Novak Djokovic who is coming off a comeback victory against Juan Martin del Potro. All of England will once again be looking to see a different outcome from last year, after Murray fell to then No. 3 ranked Roger Federer in the final last year.