DuckLife: These are the five best parks in Eugene

Posted by Cole Knutson on Sunday, Aug. 18 at 12:00 pm.

When it comes to parks, Eugene offers some beautiful venues for picnics, hiking, and disc golf. The following five parks seldom disappoint.

Skinner’s Butte is located on the north edge of Eugene. It is a giant hill facing the entire city with beautiful hiking trails and vacant lawns. The park is approximately 200 feet above the city, so rock climbing is welcome. An “O” emblem is erected on the hill and can be seen from the surrounding city as well as the air. It used to be lit up leading up to the Civil War game. Biking to the top and enjoying the view is a treat to behold.

Hendricks Park is the oldest park in Eugene. Known for its rhododendron garden, the park also features a hiking trail, 200-year-old douglass fir trees, and a healthy variety of wild flowers. It is 78 acres and perfect for hiking, jogging, and birding. Also if you enjoy picnics, you might want to stop by.

West University Park is located next to the UO. The entrance is located on the corner of 14th Avenue and Hilyard Street. Small and quaint, it’s a nice place to escape campus for a bit on a sunny day. It was designed by students of the landscape architecture department at the UO in 1979. The park features a plaza, boulders and a slew of plants native to the region.

Westmoreland Disc Golf Course is a popular place when the weather is nice. Since the park opened in 1986, it has hosted several tournaments. The course was designed over old airport run ways. The short holes make the games quick and the course popular.  It can be a bit wet November through May, but it features nine holes and concrete tees. Scattered foliage makes it a pretty venue. Get there early as it gets crowded on sunny days.

Covered in green, the Alton Baker disc golf course has 18 holes and costs $3 per person per day. Trees include an old filbert grove, large maples, firs, cotton woods, and cedars. Since the course is located next to Autzen Stadium, the course is cut down to 12 holes on days that there is a big event. In addition to disc golf, Alton Baker Park is a dog park with duck ponds and bicycle trails.

DuckLife is the Emerald’s magazine for incoming freshmen, made available during IntroDucktion. This story has been reprinted from the magazine in its original form.