UO School of Law gets two new associate deans

Posted by Robert Wery on Monday, Aug. 26 at 2:30 pm.

The University of Oregon School of Law has two new associate deans. Jennifer Espinola and Erica Daley have been appointed as the associated dean of students and associate dean for finance and opearations, respectively.

Because law students study on a semester system rather than a term system, they begin studies late in the summer before the normal Sept. 30 school start. This required both Espinola and Daley to familiarize themselves and settle into campus and their jobs earlier than most other University staffers.

Jennifer Espinola

Jennifer Espinola

After 10 years at the University of South Florida, Espinola has been at the University since Aug.12.

“I get to work with the team that helps students with admissions, help with crises, financial aid, so pretty much anything outside of the classroom experience,” Espinola said.

In the past, Espinola has worked as the assistant dean of students and assistant director for the Center for Alcohol & Other Drug Education at the University of Miami.

While at South Florida, Espinola was the co-director and adjunct instructor in leadership studies, director of the Center for Student Leadership Development and director of Student Government Advising, Training and Operations.

She’s no stranger to face-to-face interaction with students and her job history shows her skill in the field.

“It’s an incredible opportunity, my entire career has been in higher education so this is a perfect blend of my passions,” said Espinola.

Erica Daley

Erica Daley

Daley has been at work since July 12.

“I’m responsible for all the business activities in the law school. I’ll work directly with the Dean and the executive staff to run the operations of the school,” Daley said.

Like Espinola, Daley comes from a background rich with experience at jobs like executive director and CFO for Miller Nash LLP in Portland as well as executive vice president and CFO for CompView Inc., in Beaverton. Daley earned her MBA at the UO as well as a bachelor’s degree from Portland State University.

She believes there’s no better time to get involved in law.

“Baby boomer lawyers are starting to retire finally, it’s a perfect time for students to enter law school. By the time they’re done, there’s going to be space for them, and I think that’s what everybody has been waiting for,” Daley said.

Although Espinola and Daley are new, they hope to make the law school, and the University of Oregon the place to be.

“We want to be one of the premier law schools in the country, and we’re working hard to make sure that happens,” Daley said.