Men’s golf tied for fifth place after first day of Kikkor Golf Husky Invitational

Posted by Victor Flores on Monday, Sep. 16 at 8:05 pm.

After the first day of the fall season’s first tournament, the Oregon men’s golf team team sits tied for fifth place. The Ducks, like the other 14 teams in the Kikkor Golf Husky Invitational, have five golfers participating, and each of them played 36 holes on Monday at Gold Mountain Olympic Course in Bremerton, Wash.

Oregon finished 4-over par 580 after Monday’s two rounds, showing positive signs going into Tuesday after the second round ended, the Ducks hit that 4-over mark after the first round.

The big performer for the Ducks was Ryann Ree, who improved in the second round. Ree backed up his first round 71 (-1) with a 70 (-2) in round two, making him the only Duck to finish the day under par and finish each round below 72. His 3-under score tied him for third among all 75 golfers in the tournament through Monday.

Ree wasn’t the only Oregon golfer to shoot an under-par round on Monday. Sulman Raza was tied with his teammate Ree after the first round, shooting a 71 of his own. Raza couldn’t carry the momentum into the next round, though, firing an 80 (+8) that put him in last place among his teammates.

Jonathan Woo’s day was practically the opposite of Raza’s. After shooting a 5-over 77 in round one, Woo matched Ree’s second round with a 70. That score propelled Woo into second place for Oregon and tied for 31st overall.

Zach Foushee shot a pair of 74s and Rak Cho finished at 6-over to round out the day for Oregon.

The Ducks are only five strokes behind second-place San Diego going into the final round of the Invitational, but they’ll need to play a phenomenal 18 holes on Tuesday in order to take the top spot. Washington finished Monday 10 strokes ahead of San Diego, with three players finishing under par. The Huskies also dominated the Invitational last year, winning by nine strokes.

BYU and Oregon State are currently tied for third place, and Arizona State is tied with Oregon for fifth. The entire team and player standings can be found here.