GameDay: How Oregon and Washington State stack up

Posted by Ryan Kostecka on Friday, Oct. 18 at 11:00 am.

The Oregon Ducks are headed home after two weeks on the road and face the third-best passing offense in the Pac-12 in the Washington State Cougars.

Oregon hasn’t lost to the Cougars since 2006, a 34-23 defeat. Since that point, the Ducks have outscored Washington State by an average score of 51-17.

Offense:
Oregon: The Ducks are among the nation’s best in nearly every major category, ranking second in points per game (56.8 points) and total offense per game (630.5 yards), third in rushing offense per game (324 yards) and 21st in passing offense per game (306.5 yards). Marcus Mariota leads the charge with 2,150 total yards on the season with 25 touchdowns and no turnovers. Josh Huff and Bralon Addison have amassed 1,054 yards receiving on 54 catches and 11 touchdowns.

Washington State: The Cougars’ offense is in its second year of Mike Leach’s “Air Raid” offense that emphasizes throwing the ball around the field. WSU is third in the country in pass attempts per game with 54.4 and eighth in passing offense with 346.9 yards per game. Six receivers have 19 catches or more while quarterback Connor Halliday has thrown for 14 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. The Cougars are last in the country in rushing offense, averaging just 66.4 yards per game.
Advantage: Oregon

Defense:
Oregon: The Ducks rank in the top six in the country in scoring defense (13.8) and yards per play (4.23 yards) while boasting one of the best secondaries in the nation. Oregon is tied for seventh (with WSU) in turnovers forced with 16 on the year. Derrick Malone leads Oregon in tackles with 52 while Tony Washington has accumulated seven tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and three forced fumbles, all team highs. Terrance Mitchell leads the Ducks with three interceptions.

Washington State: The Cougars’ defense isn’t their stronger side of the ball, ranking in the middle of the country in all main defensive categories. They give up an average of 25.3 points per game, tied for seventh in the Pac-12. Safety Deone Bucannon is WSU’s star, leading the team with 64 tackles and four interceptions while Damante Horton also has four interceptions but with 146 return yards and two touchdowns. Three Cougars have over six tackles for loss and Cyrus Coen leads the team with three sacks.
Advantage: Oregon

Special teams:
Oregon: The Ducks have the nation’s No. 2 punt return man in Bralon Addison, who is averaging 23.9 yards per return with two touchdowns, all in just nine returns. Addison is also on ESPN’s midseason All-America team as a return specialist. Alejandro Maldonado (3-for-4) and Matt Wogan (1-for-1) split the field goal kicking duties with Wogan’s 38-yarder being the longest of the season. De’Anthony Thomas has been sidelined for Oregon’s last two games and if he plays, he is expected is to make an impact in the return game. 

Washington State: The Cougars don’t have any touchdowns in the return game this year but Rickey Galvin and Teondray Caldwell have combined to average 23.9 yards per return. Kicker Andrew Furney is 9-for-11 on field goal attempts with a long of 46 and a perfect 26-for-26 on PAT attempts. Leon Brooks averages 11 yards per return with a long of 51 on the season.
Advantage: Oregon

• Cougswilleatduckdinner

You are retarded

• Go figure…

Cougs may lose…but not by the average margins from previous years. Look for this one to be closer than usual…